Oprah Winfrey | Teen Ink

Oprah Winfrey

May 26, 2011
By Anonymous

Oprah Winfrey. Weston Robin. New Jersey: Enslow Publishers, Inc. 2005. 111.


Oprah Winfrey grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She lived in a cramped one room in a run-down boarding house with her mom and her new half-sister, Patricia. Growing up, Oprah had no other choice then go to school, succeed, and get a great education.


Her life was hard enough having to take care of her half-sister while her mom, hours away from home was working to support them. By the age 14 Oprah had a baby, but after a few weeks later the baby had died. By this time she was living with her dad in Nashville, Tennessee. She was living with her dad Vernon because Oprah’s mom couldn’t take care of her and her sister, and Oprah wanted to move in with him anyway.


While living in Tennessee Oprah had many job offers. It was said that she was an amazing speaker to everyone and wasn’t shy or nervous. Oprah started out on a radio station WVOL. While listening a producer of a talk show wanted Oprah to come and talk, she was later then she was very popular all over the world. After several months on the show, the producer decided to make the show The Oprah Winfrey Show. Everyone thought that she was a moving, inspirational speaker.


Today, she is a very, very, successful woman in the television business. “I don’t believe in failure” her quote that took her very far in life, who inspires young adults as well as adults to keep their dreams close because there never too far behind.