Peer Pressure & Drugs | Teen Ink

Peer Pressure & Drugs

By dawn358 BRONZE, Saratoga, California
dawn358 BRONZE, Saratoga, California

There is a sickening plague spreading through the American youth. It affects a huge majority of teenagers, but many other age groups as well. This plague is peer pressure, and millions of teens fall victim to it every year. Although not really a disease, it’s a serious problem that people need to be aware of. The most common examples of this are teenagers being persuaded to use drugs and alcohol. Although, of course; other forms exist as well.

Peer pressure affects people’s judgment. Many teens are convinced to smoke or use other drugs. As a teen myself; I have seen many of my friends fall to these harmful substances. Many people I know, including friends and family, have turned to drugs. A lot of good, smart people ruin their lives by making the wrong decisions. My observations indicate many teens lose motivation in school and responsibilities when they start using drugs. I’ve noticed many people in my life, lose track of their goals and values when they fall to bad choices.

I am proud to say I have never smoked or used any kind of dangerous recreational substances, and I never plan to. I guess I never saw the point in it, and it always seemed like a useless concept to me. I have always thought of drug users as “weak”. To do it for “fun” seems stupid, because the person is ruining their body, wasting their time, and hurting their relationships, just to “have fun”. I also consider addicts weak, because they let themselves be taken over by harmful chemicals. People who are addicted to drugs, let a substance control their life, simply because they couldn’t just say “no”.

Some people argue drugs “aren’t that bad,” and in some ways they may be right. Okay, so smoking marijuana never really killed anyone, but it’s not worth the quick-lasting effects. People should understand it’s illegal for good reasons. Like many drugs, it alters they way people think and affects judgment. Of course there are worse things happening in the world than teen substance abuse. I’m not writing this to pretend drug use is the biggest problem in America right now. I just want to spread awareness that this is a big problem with a simple solution. Just say “no”. Just because some people are indifferent to the idea of jeopardizing their future, it doesn’t mean you have to be.

This peer pressure problem does have some simple solutions. Although not always effective, parents should talk to their children about substance abuse and good morals. Parents need to discuss peer pressure with their children. Young children can greatly benefit from talking with their parents about important moral decisions.

Peer pressure is vast in our society, and it needs to be stopped. It’s a parent’s responsibility to teach good values to their children, but that can only do so much. It’s also every person’s responsibility to make good choices on their own. Every person has the power to make their own destiny through their decisions. After all, it’s the choices we make that truly define who we are.