Bullying: What it is | Teen Ink

Bullying: What it is

By TeenInkLover089 BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
TeenInkLover089 BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

Many people try to avoid the subject of bullying. They think that it is the right thing to do just to keep their thoughts about the topic to themselves. But really, its not. Talking about bullying more gives people a chance to tell their stories, report bullying, or even as much as saving peoples’ lives. You may think you know what people are going through, but you have no idea…
Bullying is a form of abuse that can either be emotional, physical, or verbal. The act is repeated many times and can keep going for a long period of time. There are many ways that bullying can occur but the most common way( as reported by statistics) is when there is a “target” ( the victim of bullying) and there is a social group that’s bullying the victim. The victim will usually be a person who is in a lower social rank at school and who is weaker. Bullies can bully people for many different reasons. It might be that they see them as being less then they are, their religion, or even their sexuality. The point is that right now, there are many reasons for people who are being bullied. But that all needs to change.
Have you ever wondered what the characteristics of a bully are? Well first, a bully may be a guy or a girl who can be outgoing but aggressive. They may also be reserved but manipulative. For example, they can start a random rumor just to see what happens and act like they didn’t know anything about it. They share a common characteristic of wanting be dominant over others and are very self-centered. Bullies think that they have the power and it is their right to push people around. Many people don’t know, but most bullies that target other people are very much insecure about their past or family at home. They may look big and bad on the outside, but on the inside, it’s a different story.
If you ever find yourself in a situation of bullying that escalates, please consult an adult. This adult can either be an adult of authority or and adult that you can trust. Many people find this childish but adults really do have the power to stop these kinds of situations. You can also try to be not alone at times that you know that the bully will harass you. Grab a friend with you to walk down the hall or wait up for a group of people to walk home or to the bus. This will leave you with a lot of witnesses or just give the bully less time to bully you. This is one of the main ways to stop a bully from bullying you.
In conclusion, bullying is a huge problem that many people know about but aren’t doing anything to stop it. People need to join together and take a stand to bullies everywhere. There are many ways to avoid being bullied and many ways to stop it. Bullies can come in many forms on the outside, but in the inside, its different.