Are Indoor Pools Bad for your Lungs? | Teen Ink

Are Indoor Pools Bad for your Lungs?

By sydnei00010 BRONZE, Powder Springs, Georgia
sydnei00010 BRONZE, Powder Springs, Georgia

There are some who believe indoor pools and chloride are bad for your lungs. Studies show unventilated swimming pools can have an impact on both children and adults. There are also some occupational doctors that believe the chlorine in indoor pools can also cause different forms of asthma. There are also many studies that show different forms of chlorine that develops from poorly ventilated pools. There are many problems with indoor pools that can cause health issues with your lungs, but the appropriate pool maintenance and pool ventilation can reduce the risk of illness.

One form of chloride is nitrogen trichloride. One hypothesis is that the attendances at indoor pools have a higher rise in asthma. These tests were done on children ages 6-7 in the mid 90’s. In 2003, there were studies in Belgium that believed there were associations between chlorinated indoor pools and asthma relating age, sex, and ethnic origin. There was a study of 624 pool workers that showed a connection between upper respiratory symptoms and there exposure to chlorine. The study also found that exposure to nitrogen trichloride weakened the surface of the lungs. If not ventilated properly, nitrogen trichloride can be a dangerous explosive.

Researchers speculate children with repeated exposure to chlorine products may cause damage to respiratory system. Many studies have also found elevated rates of airway information and asthma among competitive swimmers. Many also believe that trained swimmers have poorer airway circulation. Researchers go on to suggest that chlorinated compounds in the air of indoor swimming pools may influence the lungs and airways in children. One condition that is a result of excessive chlorine exposure is known as Clara cells. There was a study that performed in Belgium that tested 226 young children who were exposed to large amounts of chlorine from indoor pools for 2 hours per week. This study concluded that the lung problems that occurred were equivalent to that of a heavy smoker.

Researchers also performed studies involving adults. They followed adult employees who worked at indoor pools who were exposed to high levels of chlorine. Some scientists have concluded that exposure to large amounts of chlorine that increased the chance of developing childhood asthma. Swimming in an improper ventilated indoor pool is believed to be a result of inflammation of the lungs. Scientists continue to study the relationship between adults/children and indoor chlorine and the impact and/or damage it causes to the body.

Researchers believe that appropriate ventilation of indoor pools can result in respiratory systems. Many pools have vents that circulate outside air with inside air. These fans are turned off to allow the room to heat up, and the fan is then turned back on to circulate the stale air. This process helps to remove excess chlorine and chemicals out of the room. Proper ventilation is also an important part of an inside pools dehumidification system. It is encouraged that a manual pressure exhaust ventilation system be used. By using this ventilation system, this will prevent moisture from penetrating and damaging the respiratory system.

Many believe the most important processes in reducing respiratory problems are to provide timely pool maintenance. One important maintenance duties is closely monitoring nitrogen trichloride. This formed by sweat, body oils, and other body fluids. Pool managers should always check chlorine levels regularly. If not closely monitored, nitrogen chloride can irritate the eyes and cause additional problems to the respiratory track. Many competitive swimmers should now know the importance of consistent detail pool checks. Having an advanced pool maintenance program will help protect swimmers and maintain the health of their respiratory system.

Throughout researchers, it is consistently noted that indoor pools can be bad for your lungs. Studies show it can cause asthma among adults and children. It is suggested that appropriate ventilation and thorough pool maintenance can reduce the risk of respiratory problems.