The Ark of the covenant | Teen Ink

The Ark of the covenant

May 23, 2011
By tigerpuppie BRONZE, Southlake, Texas
tigerpuppie BRONZE, Southlake, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Ark of the Covenant, also known as “The Tabernacle”, is what housed the Ten

Commandments. The Ark of the Covenant was the materialization of God’s natural existence on earth.

God commanded Moses to construct the ark during the time period that the Jews were camped at Sinai. Bezalel, grandson of Hur, the constructor of the tabernacle, also constructed the ark. The ark was two and one half cubits long by one and one half cubits wide and high, in a rectangular form. It was made out of acacia wood then overlaid with blocks of solid gold.

On the lead of the ark was the Mercy Seat. The Mercy Seat was made up of two Cherubim of Glory facing one another with wings outstretched. These were also made out of acacia wood and over laid in solid gold. Upon each corner of the ark there was a solid gold ring attached at the top. Then two, three and a half cubit long, rods were made out of acacia wood and covered in solid gold and placed on either side of the ark through the solid rings as a way for men to carry the ark.

There were three main artifacts that were stored inside the Ark of the Covenant. The first artifact was a golden pot containing an omer of manna. The second artifact was Aaron’s rod. Aaron’s rod was symbolic of Jesus’ time on earth. The rod was once living as a part of a tree whish was then cut off and died, then many years later the rod started budding flowers once again and came back to life. Thirdly, the people of Israel had broken the covenant made with God. In grace, God transformed it and commanded that its lasting record should be deposited in the holy ark. The book of the Covenant, which dealt with other aspects of law and procedure, was deposited beside the ark, but the ten Commandments were stored within the actual ark. In Deuteronomy 31:26 (King James Version) it says, “Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.”

Throughout the years the ark was often used in the desert as an guide of when God wanted the nation to travel, and when he wanted them to stop. The ark was also used in Israel for man spiritual and pragmatic purposes as well as in the desert. The ark always traveled two thousand cubits ahead of the entire nation.

The ark was placed in a temple where it remained until the Babylonian empire was destroyed, which was led by Nebuchadnezzar. It is still unknown as to where the ark disappeared to after the destruction. It is highly unlikely that the Babylonians took is because the detailed lists of the artifacts that that they stole made no mention of the ark.

There are hundreds of theories as to where the Ark of the Covenant is today. Ethiopian Christians advanced the most fascinating possibility that’s states that they have the ark today. The theory states that in Axum, Ehtiopia, the people believe that the ark is presently being held in the church of Saint Mary of Zion. They believe that a monk, who calls himself the “Keeper of the Ark”, is guarding the ark. He claims to have the ark in his possession.

Today the ark is still a huge topic of study, even though it has been missing for 200 years. Many researchers have done their best to explain the marvels that are credited to the ark in the Bible. An extremely recent study suggests the rather small possibility that the ark symbolized man’s first harnessing of electricity. The statements given of peoples’ sudden deaths from touching the ark go hand in hand with deaths that are caused by an extremely high voltage, also known as a lethal electrical charge. This powerful of a charge could have been a result from the constant contact of the box to static electricity. Static electricity builds up quickly in a dry and hot climate just like in the Middle East. It is also proven that gold is probably the most powerful electrical conductor, while wood is a perfect insulator.

The only remains of the ark in Jewish life today is the Holy Ark in which Torah scrolls are kept in synagogues. The ark itself plays absolutely no role in Jewish life today. Nonetheless, the ark remains a strong and important symbol of the Jewish peoples’ past and also of the messianic era many people believe is waiting in the