Marilyn Manson | Teen Ink

Marilyn Manson

By JessieGran SILVER, Oak Lawn, Illinois
JessieGran SILVER, Oak Lawn, Illinois

Marilyn Manson was born Brian Hugh Warner in Canton, Ohio on January 5, 1969. Manson struggled through his childhood. He was molested several times by a neighbor and picked on by the kids at his school. He began to take the path of rebellion to help him escape a world that he hated. Manson had declared, “I perceive decadence and ‘evil’…as a good thing.”(Goodfight) He attended catholic school for most of his childhood, which is where his inspiration for music arose. Manson believes that religion was wrong and began to grow a fear for it. He stated, “Was alienated by what he saw as hypocrisy, and a religion that seemed to teach fear more than it taught virtues.” (Ebay) In high school, he convinced his parents to send him to public school. It was during this time that he picked up writing and poetry and used these ways to express the hatred he had for the world he was living in. After high school, his family picked up there belongs and headed to Florida for a better job for his father. He had scored a part-time job as music journalist. His main love for writing was very intrigued by the freedom of speech and censorship debate. During this time he had met a friend named Scott Mitchell. They began the Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids. They chose stage names that would later be known all around the world. The job gave him opportunities to interview several famous musicians. One that would help start up the career for the band, Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails. Manson said “The band was formed with the mission statement that it would push the envelope when it came to censorship.”(Chandy).
Manson chose his stage name; Marilyn Manson based on the actress Marilyn Monroe and the murderer Charles Manson. Manson said, “The name really describes everything that I have to say. Male and female, beauty and ugliness, and it's very American. It's a statement on the power that we give to icons like Marilyn Monroe and Charles Manson. It's about paradox - diametrically opposed archetypes.”(“Manson”) In 1993, after playing small gigs and trying to make a name for themselves, Manson and the band earned a contract from Reznor’s record label, which also scored them a spot on Nine Inch Nail’s 1994 tour. Manson and the Spooky kids, who were later changed to Marilyn Manson, were about to push the limits of American censorship laws. The album Smells like Children, released in1995 platinum. They later relapsed Antichrist Superstar in 1996. But Manson’s greatest musical achievement came in 1998 with his release of Mechanical Animals. Which became number 1 on the billboard charts. While Manson was making create achievements during his 2001 tour for Holy Wood Manson’s extremely on stage performances lead to charge of sexual conduct, which were later dropped. Manson’s last cd produced was The High End of Low in 2009 cause of the reuniting of his former band mates. Through his career he has made it publicly known of his worship for Satan and used that as influence in song writing too. Manson’s achievements have come at prices but never the less those prices never went against the music he lived for the morals he lived by.
Manson believes that the American society is a materialistic one. One he does not believe in. Manson wrote most of his songs based on the society and how he saw it. He also used painting to express this, which he sells as well. He fought against society and made him one the most loved and hated artist of time. He became priest of a Satanist church. On May 16, 2001, it was announced on the ReligionToday website that “Manson planned to quote the Bible at his next concert, to "balance out" his violent lyrics,” (mm web) His negative image only becomes worse when the columbine shooting happened. The killers were linked to Manson. He became the target of unwanted and hatred. He was believed to be the influence of the killers. Later it was told that the killers were not even fans. During an interview when he was asked what he would say to the two if he had a chance to talk to them before the killings. He responded, “ I wouldn’t have said a single word to them, I would have listened to what they had to say, and that’s what no one did.”(Chandy) Although most anger protesters believe he is still to blame the media later removed his name from the connection to columbine and finally after a couple of years made an appearance back in town. Manson has never let the fear of what others think keep him does best.
Manson has made some history in this country, positive and negative. But either way, him, his band and his music make us think about the way our society in the light. His childhood has shaped the way he expresses himself. His music became the thing most people loved to hate. And his view on society and the truth he speaks about it almost scares us. Manson has made great accomplishments in his life and made his name be known around the global but never once lost his head and dropped his morals.