My Other Half | Teen Ink

My Other Half

I have always wondered what it would feel like to have a twin. Twins seem to have such a strong connection. Not just a sister bond but much more; it is like they are a part of each other. Every time I see twins, it makes me sad. It reminds me of what could’ve been if my twin wouldn’t have died.
I don’t remember my twin because she died before we were born. My parents told me that Jennifer died 2 months before I was born. She died due to Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome. That’s when one baby gets to much fluid and the other baby doesn’t get enough. Jennifer was the one who was getting too much fluid and eventually her heart couldn’t take it anymore. When she died, I only weighed one pound so my mother was not able to deliver us at that time. My mother was put in the hospital for two months to give me an opportunity to grow to at least four pounds so that she could deliver me and I would have a better chance of surviving.
Although I didn’t know her, I have always felt a void that only she could fill. I have always wondered what she would be like and how different my life would be if she was here. Even though I desperately wish that she could have lived, there is a strong possibility that she would be ill. I know God knew what was best for her. I know she is in a better place and that she is looking down at me from heaven.