Fish | Teen Ink

Fish

March 24, 2008
By Anonymous

I awoke to“At the Copa! Copa Cabana! The hottest spot north of Havana!” I scurried to hit the sleep button on my radio. “Uhg…”, I thought, “It’s six thirty in the morning and I get to wake up to Barry Manilow. Great.” As I dragged myself to the shower I realized I would be doing this for another nine months. When I finished I dried off and then but on my clothes. “Still smells like the department store” I mumbled to myself. I went downstairs to find a breakfast plate at my table. My mom stood in the kitchen. “So… Aren’t you excited?” my mom asked cheerfully. “Umm... not really mom”, I replied, “this happens every year you don’t have to make such a big deal about it.” Mom looked at me and said “Yeah but this year is special, you’ll finally be going with your sister!” But I could care less if I was going with my sister, it was still a chore. So my sister and I left the house. As we drove she turned her radio on to the college radio station where they only played obscure indie music. As we waited in traffic she turned to me and said “Okay. This is how its gonna go. Once we step through the gates, I don’t know you and you don’t know me.” “Okay” I said meekly. As we pulled into the parking lot I felt sick to my stomach. “Uhhg… I can’t do this.” I thought, “It’s finally here.” I got out of my sister’s raggedy old Honda accord and made my way to the gate. It was the fastest walk I had ever taken (I wish it had been the longest though). As I arrived at the gate I just stared. And stared. And stared some more. And that’s when I realized that this would be my academic prison for the next four years, and it was only my first day.