Sleepover | Teen Ink

Sleepover

I can’t remember the first night I slept over at a friend’s house.
Ever since I was a little kid my mom has been fine with me spending nights at almost whoever’s house as long as I wanted to. Sometimes when my friends invite me over and I don’t want to stay I have to make up that my mom isn’t going to let me. I never want to call her because I know she will say yes and I’ll have to stay even though I don’t want to. Due to this, my mom and I came up with a code for this kind of situations. This doesn’t happen as often as it used to when I was younger.
I remember this particular time when I spent the night at my friend’s house, her name is Audrey and she is French. She was some girl. She is different from every other friend I’ve ever had, she was fun but very intense at times, we were the kind of friends that were always fighting over anything that we could fight over. One night she invited me to spend the night at her house; we had been getting along great that day so I stayed. Her house wasn’t close to mine, she lived all the way on the other side of town, that’s a 45 minutes drive. I didn’t count with the fact that we were going to watch a scary movie and then she was going to want to go outside on the tumbling which was in the middle of her yard. We had to walk through her old and scary colonial French styled mansion. I told her I didn’t want to go but she was going anyway so I followed her, I didn’t want to stay in her room by myself. I felt as if I was in a horror movie. Vats hanging from the trees and everything! Finally after jumping on the tumbling and making her happy we headed back to her room. On our way there she decided she was too scared to sleep in her own room so she stepped into her much older and very intimidating sister. I followed her into the room only to find out there was no place for me to sleep there and had to walk back to her room alone. I was very upset when I called my mom and asked her to pick me up at 2 in the morning. She wasn’t happy with me or my friend but she picked me up anyway because I was sobbing. I remember I didn’t talk to Audrey for a couple of days but then again like every other 10 year olds we fixed our issues. My mom never let me stay over at her house again, not that I wanted too.