Social Network... Good or Evil? | Teen Ink

Social Network... Good or Evil?

By MirandGail. BRONZE, Belfair, Washington
MirandGail. BRONZE, Belfair, Washington

"Those who critisize our generation, forget who raised it"
"You'd be suprised how expencive it is to look this cheap"

Yes, Social Networking websites, such as Facebook, Myspace and Twitter, is an excellent way to express your creativity as an individual person with your own set of personal freedoms. However, when logging on to your everyday social website, your life is now out of your control. There is always access to “Terms of Use” and “Privacy Policy” on evey website you log onto. Social Networking sites have a way of tricking you. They have yet to anounce that any preditor such as, sex offenders and bullies, are just waiting for you to make a bran new Facebook account. There is always a way for someone to creep into your life and take your name and your friends. As well as finding out who you are and where you live.

Who on this earth will hack my account? I’m a good person... RIght? That may be true. But not everyone else is. Fourty three percent of on line sexual solicitors were identified as being adolescents, thirty percent, adults. And believe it or not, but only nine percent were over the age of twenty one.

Besides the scarry facts about cyberbullying, theres also a chance of a website ruining your life. Impossible right? No. You may think, “Having conversations about my stupid boss by satus comments on my Facebook account wont harm me.” Well sorry, but your wrong. Your “stupid” boss just logged onto the company’s (in wich you’ve “liked”) facebook account. And yes, he has read the comments. And now.. your unemployed. Information like that can be spread and read by anyone. Especially teachers talking about kids, or kids vandalizing teachers pages, they could lose their job, or the kid could be suspended for variouse days, depending on the mater at hand.

This is the first essay I wrote for my debate class, its also the first paper I wrote that inspired me to go into fictional journalism. I hope you find this interesting and I'd love to hear some critism or comments, thanks.