A Mother’s Kitchen | Teen Ink

A Mother’s Kitchen MAG

By Glenn Edridge BRONZE, South Plainfield, New Jersey
Glenn Edridge BRONZE, South Plainfield, New Jersey

My mother’s kitchen, it will always fill my head with memories, like it has ­always filled my belly with its delectable delights.
I will always see the fluorescent lights penetrating through the smoke of the oven like heavenly luminescence pierces the clouds.
I will always crane my head at the cat, perched high atop the fridge, ­overseeing the rough and tumble of everyday life, a furred king ­overseeing his peasants.
I will always hear the echoed gurgling flush of the toilet down the hall like an ­ancient leviathan bellowing toward the lonely sea.
I will always marvel at the ocean blue marble countertops piercing through the linoleum tile like a geographic wonder.
I will always laugh at Mom slipping on the newly shined tile, or Dad’s cursing drowned under the dutiful whistle of the smoke detector every time he burnt
his pizza.
I will always ache from the clanging thunderstorm of the pots and pans, only to be comforted by the calm drone of the dishwasher.
I will always shuffle through the countless drawers, wading through seas of starch and oceans of oregano to reach the solitary pepper jar.
I will always feast upon the endless delights from the freezer after ungodly hours of homework and sleep deprivation, fueling my dreams with lucid amazement.
I will always look upon the hardwood portal separating the futuristic cleanliness of modern appliances, from the old hardwood wonder of the tables and hutches.
I will always remember my mother’s kitchen as a provider, a friend, a tertiary parent living amongst us like a silent guardian, a room I will ­always remember even if time forgets.