Types of Moms | Teen Ink

Types of Moms

By Laura Tonnessen BRONZE, Flemington, New Jersey
Laura Tonnessen BRONZE, Flemington, New Jersey

Mothers play a pivotal role in our development as human beings. They nurture us in their wombs for nine months, they give birth to us, and then they are responsible for our well being for the next eighteen years. Many say that being a mother is one of the most rewarding experiences a person can have, but of course with reward comes suffering. Our mothers must help us through our toddler tantrums, our middle school awkwardness and finally our high school rebellion. With the stresses of being a mother many women morph into one of the following forms, the Best Friend Mom, the Helicopter Mom, or the Stage Mom.

The Best Friend Mom
One of the first signs of a Best Friend Mom is her constant friend requesting of her child’s friends on Facebook. This shows that she wants to be part of the inner circle, a friend not a mom. Best Friend Moms may shop at Hollister and Abercrombie because they want to wear the newest styles and trendiest clothes so that they can impress their child’s friends. Best Friend Moms love gossiping about boys and doing hair and make up with their daughters. The epitome of a Best Friend Mom is Regina George’s mother in the movie Mean Girls. A Best Friend Mom might say this to her child “Hey babe how’s school going? Is there any juicy gossip?”

The Helicopter Mom
Helicopter Moms are extremely protective of their children. The name “helicopter” comes from the fact that they are always “hovering” over their children. They are obsessed with their child’s grades, social life, and extracurricular activities. A Helicopter Mom not only requires that her son or daughter bring his/her date into the house to meet the family but interrogates the date for twenty minutes making them late for the movie. The Helicopter Mom will also be the one to call the parents of a person who is having a party to make sure that the party will be chaperoned. A Helicopter Mom can’t help but give her opinion because she is almost always right and wants her child to benefit from her wisdom and experience. She is willing to do just about anything to help and protect her child. A Helicopter Mom might say this to her child, “How is school going? What is your GPA? Do you need me to get you a math tutor?”

The Stage Mom
Stage Moms believe that their children are absolutely perfect in every way and because of this they will be famous one day. Stage Moms can be found at dance recitals, beauty pageants and talent shows. If you can’t find them, look in the front row. The Stage Mom is the one who is dancing or singing along right in front of the stage. Stage Moms will push their children to the limit as long as it will help their children achieve the fame that they were destined to have. Stage Moms will take their children to piano lessons, dance class, and even voice lessons as long as it will give their child a competitive edge. A Stage Mom might say to her child “Do you need me to help you choreograph a dance for the talent show because I’ve been working on something that would be perfect for you!”

I wrote this piece as an example of classification and division for my AP Language and Composition class. I hope my audience enjoys reading this!