1:44 at the Movies | Teen Ink

1:44 at the Movies

December 20, 2007
By Anonymous

It’s 1:30 p.m. on a hot summer day. You’re bored out of your mind, and you’re looking for something to do. Swimming? No, too hot. Drive around? No. Go shopping? No money. So, you decide to go to the movies. It’s matinee, which means an early movie, so it’s cheaper. It’s like the clearance rack of movies. After buying your ticket, you go to the concession stand and get popcorn and a jumbo drink. You give your ticket to the usher and go sit down. As you are walking to your theater, you may notice the sound of other movies coming from the different theaters. If you’re like me, you sit at the back, all the way at the top. That way you can see everyone, not just the movie and you get to hear the ticking of the movie projector and you can have a little light from the projector, too. If you look close, you’ll notice the couple making out in front or the shy man all alone in the darkest corner. They are just a part of it.

I always go a little early, that way I can watch the questions they have onscreen and see if I can answer them. It’s like I’m participating in a game show where I’m the only contestant. Then there are the previews, which I love. It lets me know what else is coming out so I can plan my next trip. When the movie is about to start, there are thirteen people in the theatre besides me, which is good. Onscreen is flashes that you need to turn your cell phone off, so at 1:44 p.m. I hit the off button and sit back and try to settle in in the slightly uncomfortable seats. It helps if you put your feet up on the seat in front of you, that is, if you don’t have someone tall sitting in front of you. If you do, then it’s sure to be some big man that blocks your view and overwhelms you with the smell of their cologne. But if it is, then I usually move.

I love being in a dark theatre. It’s like sitting in a dark box. Especially when there are hardly any other people in there. It seems like time just stops, plus you can really focus on the actors in the movie. It really annoys me when someone gets up in the middle of the movie because not only are they in the way of the screen, but every step they take makes noise, what with the sticky floors and all the stale popcorn they step on. I wish they would just hold it. Plus, when they open the door to leave the theater, it lets in a flash of light. How annoying.

Another thing that I like about the theater is that I usually have to bring a coat or something since it’s always cold in the theater. I’m not sure if it’s the darkness that cools it down, or the air conditioner, but it’s lovely. And it makes it smell slightly musky, in a good way. I just love being curled up and munching on a big bucket of popcorn, with the butter making my hands all greasy, feeling like I’m eating slimy Styrofoam. It’s even better when I mix my popcorn with M&M’s. It’s just a good place to be when you don’t want to deal with the world. That’s why I like the theater so much.