How Would You Feel? | Teen Ink

How Would You Feel?

I live in a house, well trailer, with three sisters and one cousin. My parents always manage to give us good presents for Christmas, but it seems like every year that passes by, less and less presents are under the tree. But then I put myself in other situations. For example not having a warm coat, a family, a good meal every day, or something small like a simple pair of shoes. Sometimes we don’t see how important every little thing is. When I go to Guanajuato, Mexico, my home state, I see how all the little kids run around naked. I know it might sound funny, but it isn’t, to truly understand the conditions, one has to see for themselves. Growing up I was taught not to ask for things that were obviously not affordable. I was taught not to throw away food. When I didn’t want to eat my vegetables, my mom would always tell me to think of all the people that would give anything to eat good and fresh vegetables. This Christmas I told myself, I have to do something to help families that need help. I know how it feels, because most of the things and clothes that I have come from yard sales or organizations that give away food and clothes. I’m not embarrassed to say this, as long as the clothes are well looking and clean, I don’t really mind. And to the people that don’t like school, think about this, what if you didn’t know how to read, how to write, or how to work a computer. How would you feel?