This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

December 14, 2007
By Anonymous

If a man never fell down then how would he know how it feels to get-up? Everybody makes mistakes. If they didn’t then words like “oops”, “sorry” or “my bad” wouldn’t exist. Lessons learned the hard way are the ones you remember best. I believe Mistakes are the usual bridge between inexperience and wisdom.



Growing up I wanted to do everything on my own. I was 6 years old and ironing was something I had never done. So I asked my mom if I could iron some of my cloths.” No” she said .She thought I was too small to doing something like that. I didn’t listen to her and started ironing some of my shirts as soon as she left. I didn’t notice it but the cord of the iron started to wrap around my legs. I heard the phone bell and I was close to it so I thought I’d get it, well just when I was walking away from the ironing board I tripped over the cord and the iron fell on my lap. Tiss! I was in so much pain I just pushed the iron off of me and ran towards the bathroom crying and screaming. I jumped into the shower. This story is true and I got the scars to prove it. After this accident /mistake I learned to always obey my parents, be aware of my surroundings and never to mess with an iron again.





But that’s not the only time I learned a lesson the hard way. One time in summer I was playing football in rain. I got tackled in the mud and my clothes got really filthy. When I got home I just threw my clothes in the washer so I could clean’em before my dad got home. I knew bleach was stronger than laundry detergent, so instead of using laundry detergent I used lots of bleach. When the clothes came out they were damaged and destroyed. My t-shirt had holes in it and my short’s color turned from black to almost grey. From this mistake I learned that never replace bleach with laundry detergent.






This next story was one of the most fun experiences from my childhood.
WWE says “Warning: Please do not try this at home” Me and my brother heard the warning that day but we had to try some of the moves on each other. We starting with safe moves and the next thing I knew was that my brother is getting ready to give me a Batista bomb. we were wrestling on the bed so I thought I’d me fine. When my brother gave me a Batista bomb my knee hit my face and I felt something break under the bed. It was the frame of the bed and it just split in half. My brother escaped from the crime scene, but I was hurt and couldn’t move. When my mom found out about the bed she asked my brother what happened .He told her that I broke the bed by jumping on it. Jumping on my bed was one of my favorite things to do until trampolines were invented so my mom bought my brothers story and I was grounded for two weeks. It made me mad but I learned that next time somebody says “Don’t try this at home” I probably shouldn’t.



After all these mistakes I have concluded that mistakes are a part of life and as long as the world is turning and spinning, we're going to be dizzy and we're going to make mistakes. But the greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.