My Best Family Friend | Teen Ink

My Best Family Friend

December 3, 2007
By Anonymous

In my life, I have many important people who are important to me. My mom has been there for me my whole life. My step dad stepped in at a wonderful time and has done a great deal for me. My grandparents are fantastic and do everything they can to make my life better. However, one special person has had a significant impact in my life, and I do not know what I would do without him. His name is Glenn.

Glenn has been a family friend of mine for a while, ever since my mom and his wife, Connie, were best friends in high school. Over the next few years, Glenn and Connie started a family, having a girl, Kaylin, and a boy, Tyler. My mom and my dad started a family as well, having me. Both of our families were inseparable, since we were always having fun together. We seemed like the perfect family friends.

About two years later, my mom and dad got a divorce. I was two-and-a-half at the time. My mom and I were told to move out by my dad, and so we had to go live with my mom’s parents, my grandparents. It was a rough time. For the next few years, this was our home.


However, through all of this, Glenn and his family were there for us. He made an exceptional effort to include me in many activities that he shared with his family. I went on vacations to Disney World, the beach, and the mountains with him and his family. I spent weekends just hanging out and having fun at their house. I even went on camping trips with Glenn and his children, Kaylin and Tyler. Glenn really made me feel welcome as a part of their family. Glenn was the closest thing I had to a father, since my dad was not involved in my life anymore. Kaylin and Tyler were also like my sister and brother, since I did not have any siblings.

This was how my life was for a long time. My mom and I finally got a house of our own but we still spent much time with Glenn and his family. They were family to me, and made my life so much more enjoyable. As Glenn’s kids were growing up, he was always there to cheer them on at soccer games or school plays. But just as he was supporting his own kids, he would always be cheering at my softball games or gymnastics tournaments too. He made me feel special and I felt that he considered me a part of his family too.

Even to this day, we still stay in contact with Glenn and his family, although things have changed over the years. I now have a step dad and have moved about an hour away from where we used to live. Kaylin is now in her freshman year at college and Tyler is a sophomore in high school. Although our families do not get to see each other as much as we used to or wish to, we still stay in touch all the time, whether it be over the phone or the computer. We still have dinners together or go support one of us kids at a sport or play. And Glenn still makes efforts to include me in his life, whether it is going to climb Stone Mountain, or just those special “Happy Birthday” or “How are you doing” phone calls.
Glenn is still like a dad to me, even though I do have a step dad now. Glenn is a great person and will always have a special place in my heart that could never be replaced by anyone. I truthfully do not know what I would have done without him by my side.