The Ballad of Mona Lisa review | Teen Ink

The Ballad of Mona Lisa review

By Annalisa BRONZE, Middletown, New York
Annalisa BRONZE, Middletown, New York

After two long years of hard work and recording Panic! At the disco has made a huge comeback with their new single The Ballad of Mona Lisa. They released it on February 1st and the right after, a week later came the music video.
Why wouldn’t you watch this?
The video was a success through my eyes. It was creative and outgoing like nothing I have really seen and enjoyed before. “ The video really represents two of my egos, one side that’s always messing things up and the other side that just wants to pull things together”, says Brendon Urie the front man of the band Panic! At The Disco.
What’s it mean?
In the video. Brendon lingers around the funeral home as a spirit singing and watching his murderer/widow. This supposed evil woman sinisterly prepares for Brendon’s funeral while people are washing and dressing his actual body for the casket for his funeral. No one suspects a thing. Since no one suspects this woman is a murderer, Brendon sees that his corpse and she finds a note in his pocket. She holds up this note that says “Mary did it”. Quickly, she tries to get away but gets caught by an old-fashioned net and ends with Brendon saying “there’s nothing wrong with just a taste of what you’ve paid for”, while gazing at you with a creepy smile. If you look closely into his eyes, you see the fire taking place in his eyes. As like a sign of relief.
What do you think?
Even if you weren't into this type of band, you would probably still would like this epic video. My personal thought is that it suggests the smile on the famous Mona Lisa painting by Leonardo Divinci is a cover up and she's hiding something which is exactly how it refers to Mary in the video. I strongly recommend this band and their amazing sense of style in music and their videos.

Panic! at the disco is my favorite band and this video really moved me.