Must You Do That? | Teen Ink

Must You Do That?

By DollFace39 BRONZE, Midway, Utah
DollFace39 BRONZE, Midway, Utah

The other day, I was eating lunch with a friend, she was insisting upon knowing what had been wrong the day before, but frankly, it was none of her business. I gave her the generic answer “Eh, it’s no big deal; I’m not really in the mood to talk about it.” But still, she insisted upon finding out what was wrong. I finally just couldn’t take it anymore, and I yelled at her, telling her that it was none of her business!

She is the kind of person I like to call a Pryer. There are a lot of things that really just can just get on peoples nerves, but one thing I absolutely can not stand is when a Pryer finds the need to know everything that is going on in your life. If it was something we wanted them to know we would tell them wouldn’t we? We try to be nice about it, hoping maybe a simple “It’s a long story,” or “I don’t really want to talk about it,” will suffice, but Pryers just can’t seem to take a hint.

Now, not only is it annoying enough to have everyone asking you what is wrong one after another, but it’s even worse when a Pryer is constantly pestering you about it over and over until you finally blow up on them, or just tell them what happened. If it was any of their business in the first place, surely we would have told them to begin with. We all have the right to hold our tongue when we please, and we shouldn’t have to have Pryers trying to take that right away from us.
We all know how nice it is to know what’s going on in everyone’s lives. We’ve got Facebook and MySpace for things like that. But there are just some things we aren’t really open to talk about. So Pryers, when you’re curious, stick to Facebook. It’s not that hard to take a hint when someone doesn’t want to tell you something. So next time your wondering about what’s going on with a friend, if they don’t act like they want to tell you, don’t try to dig deeper into it. Just let it go, and if it really is that big of a deal in due time they will tell you