The Heart of Humanity | Teen Ink

The Heart of Humanity

By ShadowPuppy BRONZE, Beale AFB, California
ShadowPuppy BRONZE, Beale AFB, California

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference "- Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"

You are now, as you will never be again. So take advantage of the life you have been blessed with and the heart with which you've been gifted. We live in a world today that pans its news camera's across the Lost and the Broken, the Homeless and Hopeless. It's time that we cut away from our commercial break of apathy and ignorance. If Shakespeare was right, and all the world is, in fact, a stage, then why can it not be a movie set either? WE THE PEOPLE can be the Directors of the greatest film mankind has ever seen. No, we cannot rewind Time, nor can we Tivo our lives and play them back after we wash the dishes or feed the dog. But there is a Today. There is a Now. And this is where we roll the camera.

Everyone wishes we could rewrite history--go back in time and do some things differently, or not do some things at all. Tell me,Youth, do we want to grow old and overhear our children saying how they wished they could go back in time and fix OUR mistakes? Do you honestly think it will be easy to listen to your future sons and daughters go, "Damn, mom and dad's generation really f***ed up." I know for sure that I do not.

So let's put out the fire before it even starts to burn! It all starts with one person. YOU. So go now, look into a mirror and ask yourself: "Am I the best (husband, wife, daughter, son, Airman, student) human being, I can be?" No, perfection is not the answer. And you will never have the same answer across the board. So I challenge each and everyone of you who happens to read this, when you wake up tomorrow morning, say a little thanks out loud that you even awoke to to see that sunrise. Then, when you embark on your day, do what you can to make yourself proud. Be the best person you can be; to yourself, or your boss, or even the stranger you accidentally jostled as you walked down the street. Never sell your unlimited potential short, for you owe yourself far too much. And perhaps, bit by bit, person to person, and heart to heart, each individual Human Revolution that is accomplished, we may just be able to reach the Heart of Humanity.

And that, is truly newsworthy.

I hope that this inspires at least one person into action.