Hungry vs. Full

By , Mountain View, CA
In the world, almost a billion people are hungry. As you read this, several people will have died from hunger.

On the contrary, there are almost two hundred million obese people in the US alone. More than three hundred thousand people die from obesity every year.

Does this sound wrong to you? Does this sound strange, untrue, maybe even crazy?

Well, it’s true. I sometimes stare at those numbers. How can someone die from obesity while somebody else is dying from starvation? How can people grow fatter and fatter while some people don’t have any food at all? To me, this is crazy. People are suffering from the opposite things. I wish it would be a simple solution- fat people taking a break from eating, and giving that extra food to the hungry. In fact, there is enough food in the world to feed everyone properly. But unfortunately, it’s not that easy.

I think of obesity and hunger as a scale. Right now, obesity is going heavier and heavier, and hunger is going lighter and lighter. We need to do everything we can to make that scale stay flat.

HorseLover said...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 6:19 am
Amazing aritcle!! I had always known about being hungry, but I had never really thought about people dying from obesity.