Dress Code | Teen Ink

Dress Code

January 17, 2011
By xotressalynnox SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
xotressalynnox SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Arrowhead High School
N39W85629 Main Street
Hartland WI, 53029

To the Arrowhead School Board:

The new dress code at Arrowhead High School is egregious. It is a public school and students should be allowed to wear what they want within reason. After all, students shouldn’t be dressing like prostitutes. Having a strict dress code will elicit unwanted problems and make the students distraught.

One of the best things about Arrowhead High School is students can express themselves freely. The most common way to do that is through clothing. Having the right to wear what you want is important to teenagers. Taking that away from them will be pernicious. Everyone will look like everyone else. Students won’t feel right dressing up because that isn’t who they are. Arrowhead is sending a message that students should all look alike. Students will start to think the new dress code is restricting individuals. Arrowhead is making it look like they aren’t proud of their students. Only a paucity of students will tolerate the new dress code. The rest will end up making a stand. Money may also be an issue for students.


Dressing up every day of the week will make students go out and buy a new wardrobe. Buying dress clothes is expensive, and students don’t own a whole wardrobe that would be appropriate to wear under the new rule. There will be acrimonious parents because they are spending money on clothes their sons and daughters don’t want to wear. People may not be able to afford the new dress code. If impunity is granted to those that can’t buy the new clothes needed, the other students will be treated unfairly. The duplicity of the school officials will be clear.

Students will not benefit from dressing up. It will make them angry. The dress codes purpose can be construed in making the school look like it isn’t proud of its students. Students will make a stand against the unfair dress code. The new Arrowhead dress code will create problems that will affect each student.

Sincerely,



Tressa M.