38 witnesses | Teen Ink

38 witnesses

By jiggly SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
jiggly SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Police try to obviate crimes around their district but, they don’t do it alone. Good citizens help them by calling the emergency number and explaining the situation in meticulous detail however, one night in 1964, 38 people saw or heard a murder taking place and did nothing about it.
The 38 “good citizens” stayed in their domicile because “they didn’t want to get involved.” The lurid criminal was sporadic in his attacks coming back three times to kill the woman. The witnesses waited till the murder came back a third time before they called the police. Two minutes elapsed and the police were on the scene. The police asked the lax citizens why they made a rash decision in not calling the police when the lady first screamed for help. The police used conjecture because no one did anything to help the woman who was murdered. Three weeks later the quip police caught the murder and he went to jail.

The good citizens should not have waited to call the police; they should have called at the first sign of trouble. They are just as responsible for the crime as the person who committed it and should also be put on trial. When more people call the police when something or someone needs help this world will be a safer and better place to live.