learn more herbvavore | Teen Ink

learn more herbvavore

January 13, 2011
By skybleedsblue BRONZE, Aroura, Colorado
skybleedsblue BRONZE, Aroura, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind


When you think vegetarian what do you think of? someone as thin as a twig? A stick like being? An unhealthy person? A solely salad consuming creature? Well being a vegetarian is none of the above it is actually very healthy for you and is more common than you think.

I have been a vegetarian for 3 years and a vegan for 2 weeks so far. I was so scared when I became a vegetarian that I was going to get sick or that it would be to hard. Some common questions are: “what about protein? Isn’t it bad for you? Will it make me sick?” Over the 3 years that I was a vegetarian I came across loads of helpful facts and statistics along with ways to start and stay veggie!

The list of health benefits that come with a vegetarian lifestyle is huge! Scientists say that a vegetarian diet is consistently associated with lower blood cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, less obesity and less heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer and, even have better skin(http://www.vegetarian-nutrition.info). A common misconception is that veggie heads don’t get enough protein and that is wrong in fact meat consumers tend to get three times the necessary amount of protein and that alone has been linked to alzimers!

Being a vegetarian is hard work ecpessaly if you love meat! It takes will power, endurance, self discipline and class.
Yes vegetarians need to be classy. Nothing is more annoying than a new vegetarian thinking they are all high and mighty shoving their famous peta pamphlet down every meat eater’s throat. You need to realize that this lifestyle isn’t for everyone and you need to respect that. Not only is that annoying but could give vegetarians a bad name.
The best way to go about being a vegetarian if you are so used to meat it to take things one step at a time. First tell someone what you want to do, that way you have a support system. Then start by saying no to your least favorite meat product each week or so until you have gotten rid of all the meat in your life. Or you may simply want to quit cold turkey that works to (that’s what I did)
going vegetarian is good for your health but not to mention PETA estimates that a teen age boy who has been vegetarian for 1 year only has saved about 280 animals and in that persons lifetime they would have saved17360 more animals from dying and 204600 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions from polluting the Earth. So being veggie saves lives and not just yours but the lives of those animals!
And not to mention being a vegetarian is good for the earth! Did you know it takes300 gallons of water per day to produce food for someone who is totally vegetarian, but it takes more than 4,000 gallons of water per day to create the food needed to feed a meat-eater? Every vegetarian saves an acre of trees every year! More than 260 million acres of U.S. forest have been cleared to grow crops to feed animals who are raised for meat, and another acre of trees disappears every five seconds. So why not do your part to help save our ONLY Earth!
Being a vegetarian isn’t only the right choice for your health but for the planet and animals. With these tips it should be a no brainer why being veggie is a good choice and for the meat eaters I hope this gave you some insight into the mind of a vegetarian!