This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

By SergeantFluffyMuffins BRONZE, Fairbanks, Alaska
SergeantFluffyMuffins BRONZE, Fairbanks, Alaska

"Friends are like potatoes, when you eat them, they die."

Do you know what the second most phantasmal and ridiculously enjoyable thing in the world? Roller coasters. Do you know what the first most phantasmal and ridiculously enjoyable thing in the world? Shaving. Just shaving with a normal razor and shaving cream; nicking your chin here and there because you’re too busy dancing to differ the razor from a microphone. And while you are texting that person who has no idea what’s going on and blasting “Kung Fu Fighting” you think to yourself: “Gee, it’s too bad (your best friend) Dr. Muffin Whiskers went Disney World, he’s really missing out”. That’s what I believe in: all the little things in life. All the little things that most people overlook or have done so much now they simply see it as a chore, is what I believe in.

Being presumptuous, like I might know you may or may not be, you were probably assuming from the concludity of my introduction that this was going to get deep and emotional from here on out, but those just aren’t the kind of moments I am talking about. No, my favorite little moments are ones that are short, funny, and don’t make sense by a long shot; like just now, I sat back in my chair and realized for the first time it is a recliner! I just spent a solid two minutes leaning back and forth and around in circles smiling like a bamboozled nincompoop *word combo = 25,000 style points* and I can confidently say it was a perfectly good use of my time. As well as a few nights ago, I was completing an English assignment that was taking much longer than I thought it should, but that’s what happened when I decided that it could wait until the night before it was due. Anyways, I was texting my banana-buddy Geoffrey after I had completed the lengthy assignment for he too had also put it off as long as I had. There was sweet, sweet victory in the air for both of us, and I decided to send a celebration cheer to him via (best three letter word EVER) my personal cellular device. I exhaustedly typed in a good “woot woot” as a satisfying yell of triumph, but as I looked down I realized that my silly auto-correct had changed it into “wooten wooten”. And with my parents sleeping not thirty feet from me, and it being nearly one am on a Tuesday, I let loose a giggle with a magnitude that had not been seen since I heard that Donkey fell in a waffle hole in Shrek four. Yeah, I went there. Stories such as this are just some of the few, delicious little moments in life that I absolutely relish (LOL, pickles).

I believe those little moments are what give life its zest. The croutons on the Caeser salad. The chocolate on its s’mores. The not-quite-essential-but-really-isn’t-complete-without ingredient. Without that piece, that touch of luscious goodness, all people would have is looking for the next big thing: “Uuhhggg, I can’t wait for high school,” “Uuuhhhgggg, I can’t wait for college,” “Uuuuhhhggg, I can’t wait to retire”. That never-ending cycle that gets us nowhere but to the end. Do you believe in the little things? Do you laugh when dogs sneeze? Do you imagine elbow-less anime characters dancing to “Dynamite” whenever you hear it? That’s what I believe in. And I believe it because it’s fun. What better reason could there possibly be? ;)

This is my personal belief in the fun in the world, this is what i think everyone should feel, this is what I live by and will die by, this I believe.

on Jan. 9 2011 at 6:16 pm
AlphaBravo BRONZE, Fairbanks, Alaska

YOU! I'm happy that this is the one you decided to submit . . . dork <3

;)