Being You | Teen Ink

Being You

December 19, 2010
By SashaJox GOLD, London, Other
SashaJox GOLD, London, Other
12 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
‘Life has no smooth road for any of us; and in the bracing atmosphere of a high aim the very roughness stimulates the climber to steadier steps, till the legend, over steep ways to the stars, fulfils itself.'


From the moment you were produced inside your mothers body, till the moment near your unfortunate death, you are always going to have one person that sticks with you through everything. No, it is not your mum, nor your dad, in fact that person is you.

We should never ever change ourselves for people who come within the middle of our creation and our end because once they have gone the person that is left isn’t you. It is somebody fake and different, not the real person who came into this world. Oscar Wilde once said, “Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” This quote just shows that people live with other peoples thoughts and intentions not their own and it is hard not to get influenced by the people around you. However many times you hear the phrase ‘be yourself’ during your life, it is never possible because once one person has conquered your mind and changed you, you will never be the same person again.

We should never let someone define our lives for us, we should define ourselves. What’s the point in trying to be somebody else and trying to gain other peoples applauds. What’s the point in someone falling in love with the ‘fake us’ in the future. There is no point. If we are not ourselves now then we never will be. "There is just one life for each of us: our own.” Not our friends or our families. Ours. We should live our lives to our own expectations and our own beliefs. Be the person you want to be, do not be bullied into silence. Listen to the inward voice and bravely obey it.