Trust | Teen Ink

Trust

December 19, 2010
By SashaJox GOLD, London, Other
SashaJox GOLD, London, Other
12 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
‘Life has no smooth road for any of us; and in the bracing atmosphere of a high aim the very roughness stimulates the climber to steadier steps, till the legend, over steep ways to the stars, fulfils itself.'


Trust is a massive thing in many peoples lives. It’s hard to trust someone. It is hard to know whether that one person, friend or companion will keep your secret or reveal it to the world. The major thing about trust is that it can take years to build up and seconds to break. Trust is like glass; once it’s shattered it can never be put back perfectly.

Shakespeare once said “Love all, trust few, do wrong to no one.” What Shakespeare is saying is that we should value life in others as well as ourselves and not perform acts of harm for no good reason. We shouldn’t rely upon everyone to have the same values as us and we should be cautious about who we let close to us, meaning we should trust few to minimise the risk of getting hurt. This quote is powerful. It has the three main purposes of trust within it. We trust people to love us. We trust ourselves to trust the appropriate people. We trust everyone to treat us as they would treat themselves.

The difficulty of trust is defining the line of who we should trust. Walter Anderson once said “We're never so vulnerable than when we trust someone - but paradoxically, if we cannot trust, neither can we find love or joy.” Without trusting people we will never be able to live life comfortably, therefore when it comes to trust we need to allow ourselves to truly believe in the people we feel are worth it.

Unfortunately, when it comes to trust, we trust people to be who we want them to be and when we realise they are not that ‘perfect friend’ we feel let down and betrayed. In life we need to learn to trust people we are close to but to mainly trust ourselves as we are the only people who can keep our own secrets and give our own solutions to ourselves.