Graduating | Teen Ink

Graduating

Graduation was thought to some as a great event that they could hardly wait for. To me however, I dreaded the thought of leaving everyone. There I was sitting in Church with my blue graduation gown shining brightly. I and my fifty-nine classmates were sitting together in the first few pews reserved for us. As I looked from face to face, I saw mixed expressions. Some people’s faces portrayed looks of sadness and watery eyes. Other faces displayed expressions of joy and great anticipation. I also saw all the parents with their video cameras and digital cameras at the ready. Some parents were already starting to tear up, mostly the moms of course. The expression on my face was that of a deer caught in headlights. My face was blank. I had so many mixed feelings inside, but did not show it on the outside. It was now time to pass out all the diplomas. As each name was announced, you could hear the click-click of girls’ heels against the hard floor. At the same time, camera flashes kept coming like we were some celebrities getting swarmed by the paparazzi. Shortly after all the names were called, the mass ended and like a herd of sheep we all flocked to the exit of the church. Once we were outside the church, everyone seemed to go straight to their cliques. I of course found my two best friends. I slowly approached them. With each passing step I hated the reality that we three all knew was coming. The reality that this was the last time we’ll ever be together since we all are going to three different high schools. When I finally reached them I could see their eyes already teary. I could feel my eyes start to well also. As I embraced both of them in a hug, the tears streamed down my face. I said to them, “You guys are my best friends. I have no idea what I’m going to do without seeing you everyday!” Marla responded, “Don’t worry; we’ll still see each other on the weekends.” “Wow,” I thought to myself. “The weekends are just two tiny days. It’s nothing compared to how we see each other every single day now.” Michelle then added, “Oh, not just on the weekends. I will talk to you guys via internet or phone every single night. I promise.” “I promise too,” said Marla. I promised as well. Once all the crying was over with, we walked out of the church together. To this day, our promise has not been broken.