Accepting Responsibility | Teen Ink

Accepting Responsibility

October 26, 2007
By Anonymous

Around 9:00 a.m. I walked into my mama’s bedroom. I saw my mama packing clothes and shoes in a suitcase. I asked her,

“Where are you going?”

“I have to go to Dallas for the rest of the week and im leaving you some money and the car,” She said in a hurry.

I was happy, I was thinking of where I was going to go and who I was going to pick up, but as soon as I started smiling she shattered my happiness by saying and grabbing my hand,

“But don’t let me find out you went to a club,” as she ran out the house.

I was mad, because I knew if I didn’t do what I was suppose to do, then I would be in trouble, so I had a big decision to make- either go to the club and get in trouble or stay at home and be bored and be responsible.

I remember what my grandmas always use to say “always do what you’re told, and nothing else.” I know that was true because if I would have gone to the club that night, then I would have been in a car wreck with my cousins. Thank God that I did what my mama said do. It was hard not going to the club, because I knew that all my friends were going to be there. But I knew that I needed to be responsible and do the right thing. Even though I didn’t go to the club, I found something to do; I went to the movies with my sister and favorite cousin, we went out to eat, tried out perfumes, and then we went to a Cy- Creek HS party. I ended up having way more fun than my cousins who went to the club and started acting crazy, like a maniac and had a wrecked.

What I have learned from this experience is, don’t do what everyone else is doing just because it sounds or looks fun. Grow up and try to be more mature and except the responsibility you have. Because at the end it will pay off.

I used to think, when I was younger, that I was too young to have responsibilities, so I did dumb things. I would do things that I knew were wrong, and when my mama would tell me I was irresponsible, I would laugh and say “I don’t care.” Now I think that there is no age limit on being responsible, unless you’re a baby. I believe if you can do everything else you can grow up and be responsible.