Late Night | Teen Ink

Late Night

By kmd109 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
kmd109 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana

I just finished reading an article from Bloomberg Businessweek called “A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to Basic Cable.” I realized that I don’t even like nighttime television. I don’t understand why nighttime television hosts get paid millions of dollars to talk on late night television when half the world is sleeping. By visiting YouTube or Facebook, I can watch the parts of the show that were good and skip all the commercials. I wonder if they are cast that late because they don’t have much meaning, but if they don’t have much meaning, then why are they broadcasted at all?

Late night television starts around ten o’clock. They gossip about the nation’s news, and what’s going on in the world today. I find most topics to be frivolous. The topics don’t have a meaning most of the time. I believe that late night television should be given standards on what topics they can talk about. I feel as though late night television would appeal to a larger crowd if the topics would mean something.

Late night talk show hosts get paid millions of dollars. I don’t understand this point at all. Aren’t we in a recession? Budgets cuts are taking place in education, and not in television. This is a major problem in society today, and late night television doesn’t talk about this topic. I feel as though cuts could be made in areas such as television and have that money placed in school systems.

The shows don’t have to be broadcasted on television for people to view them. Resources such as Facebook and YouTube allow society to look at videos that have been uploaded to websites. The broadcasters should realize that they are getting ratings from the people visiting it on these websites, not the ones who watch it at 11 o’clock at night. This supports my reasoning behind not broadcasting these shows as late, so that it could reach a larger audience.

I hope that broadcasters take a step back and look at the information being presented in the late night shows. To me, late night television is a public waste of time. The information given isn’t information at all. It’s the daily gossip and mistakes people made. I feel as though both broadcasters and hosts should look at the mistakes they are making, and what they can do to fix them.