My True Friend | Teen Ink

My True Friend

We all need friends in our life. Imagine how life would be if we had no friends at all whatsoever. You wouldn’t have any support. Nobody would be there to give them a little push at those times where you would be reluctant. Sort of like a horrible darkness that would enshroud you in loneliness. It would even feel like you aren't fully connected to your family.

That's how I felt in 3rd grade; there was a misty darkness surrounding me.

Being separate from everyone else, I felt like I was in a world with no feeling. The teachers and certain members of my family were the ones who pushed me forward. I was desperate to meet some one my age, who cared for my feelings and was happy to give me a little push when I was reluctant.

I was in class, and I heard that there would be a new kid coming from another school who had moved nearby us. He had been selected to be in my class. His name was Chris.

In desperation, I waited for him to come. This was a chance to make a real friend. I had made so many mistakes in my lifetime by trying to make friends. This time I wouldn't mess up.

I literally waited by the door. Since class was about to start, and neither the teacher (Mrs. Molloy-Grocki) or Chris had come in, I looked outside to if they were coming. I didn’t open the door because Mrs. Molloy-Grocki was talking to him. When he walked in the door, I immediately made my effort to get him on my side. I showed him around the classroom. I got to know his interests. We understood each other. I made some desperate attempts to get him on my side. It worked. I had him making the effort to be my friend. It was working, and apparently he needed a friend too. The announcements on the intercom welcomed Chris to the school. The principal actually came in to the class and gave a little short lecture to remember to treat him with kindness and all the blattity bla that most principals demand of treatment of other people.

Then my paradigm of the world changed. No more shadows taunting me. A light had blinded the beasts that caused fear in my world. No shadow would enshroud my world. The orchestra had hit those few notes that lifted the curse of separateness. Friendship had finally come my way.

I finally had a friend. As our friendship developed, I dubbed him my “best friend.”
My method of being quick and finding a friend worked.

We eventually started to visit each other's houses. Then we got to the stage where we had sleepovers. Every other weekend was a time to sleep over at the others house. We alternated. Chris and I had developed a bond that still lasts today. I don't doubt that this friendship will ever end. We were bonded forever.

This bond has lasted pretty long by now, as you can tell from the previous philosophical paragraph preceding this. Chris and I have had a few funny times together. For example, we were once picking partners in 4th grade. Chris and I had picked each other as partners. We wrote down each others names.
Later, when it was time to pick partners, Chris and I were put together. But he couldn’t read the name that he had put down. When I walked over to him, he pointed at the name and said, “I think I goofed, no?” The name spelled Grahamham. The tale spread through the class like a bullet on steroids. It became a running joke for a few weeks.

Also, on our first sleep over, we were brushing our teeth. I was making Chris laugh so hard, that he was begging me to stop, but I kept on going, and it eventually made Chris spit toothpaste all over the mirror.
Over time, I was able to add another friend to our group. Kelly was the next person to join. We were always sitting next or across from each other in lunch.

Then, in 4th grade, our friendship still lasted between us three. We still sat next to each other all of the time. We still even had the same teacher, Mrs. Molloy-Grocki. She had shifted grades from 3rd to 4th at the same time my class stepped up.

Around the middle of the year, Chris told everyone that he was moving away, but not that far away, and the other Elementary School was in the same school district. To summarize that, he lived five minutes away and would be in the same Middle School as everyone else after elementary school.

In secret, the class made plans to throw a moving away party. Though slightly saddening, the party would give him a good memory of the school.

He was at a different class than I was, and I had been sent to fetch him.

“What do you mean, take him away?!” the teacher would say.

“I can’t reveal it, and Mrs. Molloy-Grocki will explain!” I would reply.
I led him back to class. He asked why the lights were turned off. He then was blasted backward by a supersonic “SURPRISE!!!!!!!”
We partied for the rest of the day and he left the next day. I never saw him in the Elementary School again. I actually saw him on sleepovers.
Finally I saw him on the first day of Middle School. We were in gym class and we saw each other every other day in 6th grade. Now, in 7th grade, we see each other about once biweekly.
Our middle school has four houses, and even though we are in separate houses, we are still connected through our friendship. We still see each other today.

These memories tell me about the progress of all friendships. It also shows me the process of making a friend. It takes an effort from both sides. If all goes well, then you will have a true friend.

Just like Chris. A true friend.