My Black Eye | Teen Ink

My Black Eye

It was a warm sunny day in the 70's to play baseball. I was heading to the baseball park with my parents. When we had finally arrived a the baseball park I got my things out of the trunk and walked over to the dugout. The dugout was big with steps leading down into it, shelves on the side wall, a bench, and a water fountain.

When I had put my bat bag down on the bench I put on my hat and got out my glove and ran onto the field to throw with one of my teammates for about 10-15 minutes. After everyone was at the field and had finished warming up the assistant coach called us in to the infield to do some warm-up drills. There were two people at 1st, 2nd, and 3rd base and home plate. The assistant coach had hit a couple and we turned some double plays. The assistant coach hit the next one to short, my teammate ran up and fielded it, I ran to 2nd base I tried to say flip it but I couldn’t get it out in time and threw the ball, it tipped the top of glove and nailed me right below the eye. I dropped to the ground holding my eye. The pain was so bad it was like hitting your finger with a hammer but below the eye and harder. My coach and my dad ran over to me and helped me up. I walked over to the bleachers and sat with my parents till game time.

I sat in the bleachers holding the ice on my eye for about 20 minutes until game started, but it felt longer than that. Right before the game started I went over to the dugout. Luckily th coach had me benched the 1st three innings.

Finally the game started. It was a pretty good start to the game I’m not exactly sure how the game started but I do remember that it was a good start.

The 4th inning came and I got to play. The head coach had me play right field. A couple balls were hit my way but thy were singles. I got to bat a couple of times but I don’t think I got on base. I believe we won that game. We won all but two games which kept us from the championship. Even though my team didn’t make the championship I was still happy to play in the all stars for the first time ever.

My eye started to turn a different color the next day and stayed that way for about two weeks. After those two weeks the color went away and my eye went back to normal. It sometimes still hurts today.

I learned a valuable lesson that day to always concentrate on what you are doing. When you’re playing a sport always keep your eye on the ball. Don’t think about other things than what you are doing.