God’s Gift to Me | Teen Ink

God’s Gift to Me

November 8, 2007
By Anonymous

According to the Webster’s dictionary a memory is a mental capacity or faculty of retaining and reviving facts, events, impressions, etc., or of recalling or recognizing previous experiences. Even though I am only twelve years old, I have a lot of good memories stored. They are mostly memories of the times I spent with my family and my friends. I also have good memories of times I have spent by myself just reading a book, playing video games, or skateboarding. Most of my memories are special, and are of good times. The special memories I would like to share are the times I shared with my father.

I was born on May 27, 1995, my mother said it was the most special, and amazing day of her life. She says that it was a magical day because I was born at 11:11 a.m. That time is special because it is the only number that is displayed four times on the clock at once! My father had the choice to name me since my parents had a deal. If I were a girl, my mother would have picked my name. But since I was a boy, my father got to name me. According to my mother, Brendon Michael fit me perfectly. I like my name, and my mom thinks it sounds very Irish when combined with my last name. When I was eight years old, my parents decided to separate, and my brother and I lived with my mother.

My father’s house wasn’t far away, so we were still fortunate enough to see him when we wanted. From that time on, we spend every other weekend at his house. On those weekends, we try to fill the time with day trips, camping, fishing, four wheeling, or just hanging out by the campfire at night in the backyard. At first, it felt a little strange not having mom there with us like the old times. I knew that from now on, I would have to do special things with dad on his time, and I would do special things with mom on her time. I think it is important to spend time with your parents, even if the time is separate between each parent.

My dad lives in the country; therefore we do a lot of fun things that involve nature. One of my pastime favorites is fishing with my father. I started fishing at the age of two. When I was little I got angry because I couldn’t cast the line right, and I threw the whole pole into the water. I was going to give up but my dad encouraged me not to quit and to try harder. Finally, I got the hang of it and was fishing very effectively by the age of four, and I caught my first pickerel. It was the ugliest fish and it looked like my brother on Sunday moring, and I was a little afraid of it, but I was also proud of myself. I still fish with my dad today, but now I’m much more experienced. Now I use an open faced reel which is much more advanced, and I don’t need my dad to worm my hook anymore!

My father is an avid hunter of deer, turkey, and other wild game. When I was three years old my dad took me turkey hunting. He taught me how to use a turkey caller, and he was surprised I could stay that quite in the woods, since I was a rambunctious toddler. From that moment on, my father knew he found his future hunting buddy! Every year, my father and I still hunt turkeys together, and remain hunting buddies. He is still amazed that I am quite in the woods! I will never forget moments in the woods. They were father and son bonding moments. I was at the age where I was old enough to understand him and really know him. When I think back now, and really wish I could have appreciated the time he took to spend with me teaching me his favorite hobbies.

Another one of my dad’s favorite hobbies was shooting archery. It takes a lot of skill but he thought I could handle it. He bought me my first bow and arrow. He taught me how to use it and after the first time I shot it I wanted to shoot it everyday! By the time I was really good my dad asked me if I wanted to shoot in a father and son archery competition at a rod and gun club. He pushed me when I didn’t feel confident, and that encouragement paid off because we won first place. We also won first place the following year. The trophies are still proudly displayed in my dad’s recreation room. They have a man on top of the mount thing and he’s holding a bow.

I know that when I was younger, I didn’t stop to think about thanking my dad for all of the things he took time out to teach me. Now that I am older and look back, I realize how unselfish my father was. Instead of concentrating on himself and his hobbies, he chose to spend his valuable time teaching me not only recreational techniques, but also important values that he knew I would need later on in life. One of those values was patience. I learned without knowing he taught me, that good things do come to those who wait. Another value I learned from him was not to give up. I now know that in order to achieve my goals, I will have to work hard. I can’t wait for good things to come to me, I have to go out in the world and get them. He didn’t have to yell at me to instill these values in me. Instead, he chose to do it in a way that was not only fun for me, but also fun for him.

Now a day’s us children don’t appreciate the time that our parent spend with us. Some children don’t have parents, or never see their parents, so every child should appreciate and cherish the time that we have with your parents. One with never know what tomorrow brings, your parent could be here one day and not the next. Your parents can get separated like my parents are, and the time you spend with them could be limited. I know that both of my parents love me all of the time, even though I don’t spend time with them together.

I hope that someday when I have children that I can be as great a dad that my father is to me. I hope that I can teach them all that I have learned from their grandfather, my father. I hope that my father knows in his heart how thankful I am for having him. I thank God for choosing such a great man to guide me through life.