Drug and alcohol abuse among teens: How to prevent it. | Teen Ink

Drug and alcohol abuse among teens: How to prevent it.

By Abhinav Saikia GOLD, Plainsboro, New Jersey
Abhinav Saikia GOLD, Plainsboro, New Jersey

Drug and alcohol addiction is a chronic disease affecting the brain, body and the soul. When the person is no longer in charge of their life, regardless of the triggering mechanism, they are addicted. The addiction can take over a person’s entire life. Nothing else like their health, family, career or their relationships with friends matter.
Teenage drug abuse exists worldwide. Teens seldom grasp the concept of addiction. Most view themselves as impervious to peril. For some, the stress of adolescence and peer pressure is overwhelming and drugs become an enticing escape from reality. Teenagers think that experiment with drugs is part of growing up. The easiest way of defining drug abuse is observing that a person uses a drug for something other than a medically prescribed purpose. That is, they have a habit of taking a drug to “get high” or “feel better.” They take more than prescribed amounts. They take the drugs for recreation. When teenagers begin to experiment with drugs at an early age they are at a higher risk for teenage drug abuse and problems associated with drugs and alcohol later in their lives. Early adolescent tobacco use is also an indication of later drug use and abuse.
Drug and alcohol abuse can cause altered perceptions and emotions, impaired judgment, bad breath, hangovers, loss of appetite, vitamin deficiencies, stomach ailments, skin problems , distorted vision, hearing, and coordination ,sexual impotence, liver damage ,heart and central, nervous system damage and memory loss. Some of the easy ways to not to succumb to peer pressure and say no to drugs and alcohol and still be cool are : Say what the problem is (that's mean, or, that's illegal, etc.). Say what the consequences are. Suggest something to do instead. If your friends insist on doing it anyway, leave. But leave the door open for them to change their minds and join you. Sometimes you can make it easier on yourself by preparing in advance for a possible pressure situation. Here are some things you can do ahead of time. Think ahead and try to anticipate possible problems. Decide in advance what you intend to do. Think of some good ways to handle the situation if it arises, or some good ways to avoid the situation altogether. You have only one live to live, don’t waste it on drugs and alcohol.
Abhinav Saikia
10th grade
High School North, Plainsboro, Westwindsor, NJ USA