The Awkward State Of Being

Its hard for some people to blend in. They are born without that innate ability to merge with the rest of their peers. To become one with the great uni-mind of what some call society. When a person like this is born, the life that proceeds them is usually a difficult one. Every thing they say has to be carefully thought out. Movements have to be coordinated in advance so that they don’t make fools of themselves in public. So that they don’t have to feel that horrible weight of judgment bear down upon them. Those burning whispers carried to their ears on the wind, no matter how hard they try not to listen. Every day is a struggle. A fight to be the person people expect you to be and a who you want to be.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really liked this, especially since it is so relatable. This might be a common feeling among people, but I always feel like I'm apart from the rest. Reading your work again, I can't help but re-realize what a talented writer you are. You wonderfully articulate the truth.

matticus replied...
Thanks a lot! You know, it kind of shocks me when people say I am a good writer. Not because I don't have faith in my abilities but mostly because a lot of my stuff just goes over a lot of my friends heads. You know, blank looks and empty smiles. I'm really glad that there are other people out there who get it so again, thank you. As for feeling apart from others, I think that all teens feel that way. All people really and thats why we take such great comfort in being part of a group.