The True You | Teen Ink

The True You

December 13, 2007
By Anonymous

Does everyone wear their true personality for everyone to see? Or, do some people just cover the truth by wearing a costume? I don’t know about you but I know what I prefer to wear a costume. I guess it is though the most personal experiences that people get their best and their most important beliefs. I believe that looks can be deceiving.

It happened to me about a year ago. There was this boy named Chris. I walked into one of my new classes and there he was just sitting there. I had never seen the kid before but just by the way he looked I had made an opinion about him. His hair was all back and he had a spiked Mohawk. It didn’t help on the fact that he was wearing all black. It just so happened that I was seated right next to him. About nine weeks went by before we had ever even talked to one another. I must admit I was somewhat scared of the guy just by the way he looked. I had made my mind up that he wasn’t the kind of person that I should talk to so I didn’t talk to him. I later found out that I was wrong about him in just about ever way. I don’t remember how I ended up talking to him but we were partnered up together one day. I found out that he was a really sweet guy. He was kind and caring there was nothing scary about him at all. We became the closes of friends and to this day we still are. That just goes to show you at when you judge someone on just their looks you can most defiantly be wrong about them.

This one time I remember a got in huge argument with my mother over my little brother. My argument was that he needed help and that there was something wrong with him. She told me that she knew that he was fine because he looked like a normal 13 year old boy. I asked her if that was her only piece of evidence to help prove her point she said that it was all that she needed and of course I ended up getting grounded for the argument. It just so happened that a few days later I found my little brother attempting suicide. I stopped him and then got him to go to a counselor and get help. Now he claims to be better, but when it comes down to it only he knows if he is really better. So the rest of us just have to hope that he is. So in this case he looked normal but wasn’t at all.

In my mind the most strongest beliefs come from the most personal thing. Maybe that is way this is so important to me. People judge me all the time by what I look like. But they shouldn’t because I’m the kind of person that wears a costume all the time. People look at me and only see what I want them to see. I change what people see all the time or in other words I like to change my costume a lot. One day I’ll look like a smart little school girl and the next day I’ll look like some gothic slut. People mostly call me a poser because of it but I’m not, I just try to teach the world a valuable lesson. But I really don’t think that people are getting my point, so maybe this will help.

I believe that someone should be judge by who they are not by what they look like. I know from my personal experiences that if you judge some one by the way they look you ca most definitely be wrong about them and by this you can just pass by some of the most coolest people in the world. Believe me when I say that some of the best people you will ever meet by that first glance you would think that you would never want to talk to.