Failing? | Teen Ink

Failing?

December 13, 2007
By Anonymous

Have you ever failed at something that you had worked hard for? Did you feel like all your efforts were a waste or did you learn and grow from your mistakes? I don’t think failure is necessarily a bad thing. I think we should learn something from our failures. I think that the efforts you make are more important than the success you earn. I believe that putting forth effort is greater than success itself.
I was very nervous looking out at the ice skating rink that I was soon going to be skating on. I was sure that as soon as I stepped onto the ice I would fall and break something, but I had to at least try. I stepped onto the ice and it was even slipperier than I had imagined. I could hardly even stand. I tried to skate but every time I moved I almost fell over. I was sure I was never going to learn how. But, after many failed attempts I finally learned. It occurred to me though I had more fun trying than I had actually succeeding, and plus I learned that I don’t have a good sense of balance. Yeah I may have fallen a few times, but it was still worth it.
But not only have I had fun from effort alone, I have also learned a lot from effort. Like when I decided to try out for the volleyball team. I knew that I probably wouldn’t make it, but I wanted to at least try. So I practiced almost every day. My volleyball skills were terrible at first, but they improved. I decided ahead of time though that it didn’t matter to me if I made it or not because I had tried and that in my opinion was good enough. I did make the team though, but I discovered that trying benefited me more than the fact that I had actually made the team. From my trying I learned how physically fit I was and what I needed to work on. I also learned how well I could dedicate myself to something.
But that though wasn’t the only time I had learned something from my efforts. Once I decided that I was going to raise my grades to all A’s. I knew it would be very difficult, but I wanted to do it. So I studied and tried my best on school work. I thought that I had made it, but when I got my midterm back I saw that I had not quite made my goal. But I was satisfied because I had learned my academic strengths and weaknesses. I learned better studying habits and I did improve my grades somewhat. So once more trying benefited me so much that the failure didn’t really matter.
Through many experiences I have come to believe that trying is more important than succeeding. Failure may be bad to some people, but for me I see it as a chance to learn new things about yourself and to use that knowledge to better yourself. So even when I do fail I am always glad I tried and hey, maybe I even learned something. "This will verify that the above work is completely original."