Hard Work and Winning | Teen Ink

Hard Work and Winning

What if no one ever worked hard to anything? Would there be any success in the world? People would quit and never accomplish anything. Our world would be completely different without hard work. It’s important to always give it your all because if you try your hardest, things can work out well. That is why I believe that hard work can pay off.

“We actually won a game!” Our whole team shouted. It was our first big win and I couldn’t be any happier. Our basketball team had some troubles in the past seasons, but everything was coming together now. We always had practice everyday, but nothing ever became of it. I didn’t enjoy losing, and I’m sure the rest of the team didn’t either. So we did something about it. We worked even harder. Those little things that could be touched up with a little more practice were all of the sudden, improving. Everyone stepped it up and things were really going well. Later, we even went to win a few games. It just goes to show that if you really want something, a little hard work can always get you there.

Hard work doesn’t just have to be applied to the basketball court to succeed. It also helped me get a report card worth looking at. School is a place that can boost your confidence or make you feel like a failure. Luckily, I found a way for it to boost my confidence. I felt like my grade was slipping in some of my classes. I knew I couldn’t just sit in class and act like I don’t care. I started working a lot harder by listening carefully, doing a full job on homework assignments, and studying for upcoming tests. A few weeks later, when we got report cards, I almost had to cover my eyes. But wait, I had nothing to fret about. I had gotten straight A’s. My hard work had definitely paid off.

Hard work can be applied in the strangest places. In my case, I used it at the barn. Horse-back riding has been a big part of my life for a while now. I go to horse shows all over the United States. I haven’t always been able to do that though. When I first started riding horses, it wasn’t the easiest and most fun thing to do in the world. I actually was on the verge of quitting. But, I knew that even though the sweat and tears, this was something I wanted to do. So, I stuck with it and added a little extra hard work. Things surprisingly improved, and got easier. Now, I really enjoy riding horses and my level has improved. I kept working hard and the overall experience got better.

“Practice Makes Perfect.” You can never get better if you don’t try too. All these events showed me that if you never give up, things will get better. There’s no reason to never try your hardest. Things can improve and become much more enjoyable. I know that without hard work, I probably wouldn’t have so many ribbons and trophies hanging in my room.