Lemons or Lemonade? | Teen Ink

Lemons or Lemonade?

“When life hands you lemons, make lemonade” This quote holds true in my life in more ways than one. Each day I find new predicaments that pop up. That is why I believe that unexpected circumstances benefit life.

One summer my mom told me I would be spending a week with my grandparents, and it happened to be that week. This was very unexpected, seeing that I didn’t, and still don’t think that I was close enough to them to spend a week with them. I thought right, because it wasn’t the most enjoyable experience. I didn’t spend very much time with them. Instead I lived at their house for a week and spent time with solitaire, my teddy bear, my book, and the TV. It sounds like I’m a lazy wimp, but I survived that week because of theses little items. I benefited from learning to appreciate the little things in life.

My unexpected circumstances’ have never stopped coming. I love to act. I wanted to be in a play at the Lexington Children’s Theatre, but not Alice in Wonderland. However, my friend somehow pressured me into trying out, even though I didn’t want a part. Well, I went to the auditions, and it didn’t go well. In fact, I was really disappointed with how I’d done and wanted to try again. I ended up getting a callback. I tried my best at callbacks, and got that second chance. I still didn’t want a part, but I felt better knowing that I’d done well. Unexpectedly, I got a part. Unfortunately, now I had to make the tough decision of turning the part down and probably regretting it, or taking something I didn’t want. I took the part, and along with it came even more challenges than I could have imagined. But every challenge I faced that I had to struggle through, benefited me. I came out a stronger person and actor.

There are many ways I’ve benefited, but appreciating was just a small one. When I had braces my orthodontist told me I needed a special oral surgery. I was really scared when he explained what it was. In fact I was so scared that I waited for five months to get it. My mom scheduled it in the end. When I walked into that room I had cold sweat dripping down my face from fear and panic, but something inside me told me that this was going to help me in the end. My orthodontist and my gut were right. I did need it, and it did help me. That unexpected circumstance was one of the scariest things I’ve ever done, but it taught me that sometimes I have to have the courage to do something, even if I don’t want to.
For everything you have missed, you have gained something else. - Ralph Waldo Emerson This quote has always held true in my life. In all of these circumstances I have benefited. I still face many challenges, but I know that somewhere, someday they’ll help me.