Hurtful Words | Teen Ink

Hurtful Words

December 13, 2007
By Anonymous

You’ve probably heard of the quote, “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me.” I don’t know who said that quote but my version of it is that words CAN hurt you. I believe that words can hurt.

In the beginning of 5th grade, I moved from Jessamine County to Scott County. I was known as the new kid in school. At first it was hard to make friends, but later on I met a new friend. We started talking a lot after that. We even went to this after school thing together. I thought that if I stayed here for the rest of my school years, at least I would have a friend who will always be there. Then one day I found out that she gossiped about me. She said that she thought I was bucktoothed.
My heart sunk way down into my stomach. I felt so hurt that one of my friends would gossip about me. I learned that even words that aren’t directly said to you can hurt.

That wasn’t my last experience dealing with hurtful words. “Christa for Freshman President” was the phrase that ran through my head the day I signed up to run in the presidential election. I thought it would be so much fun to be a part of the West Jessamine High freshman presidential race. I decided to make posters for the race so people would consider me as a determined candidate. After I made them, I hung them up all around the school the next day. Then when the election was getting closer, I saw a bad word on one mf my posters. When I first saw it, I just marked the word out and walked on. I was very upset that someone would vandalize one of my posters that I worked extremely hard on. I also couldn’t believe that someone thought that about me. I quickly learned that even written words can also hurt.

Now a blast from the past, my fourth grade year at Rosenwald Dunbar. I thought that 4th grade was one of the best grades yet. I had great friends and a great teacher. Then in the middle of the year, one of my best friends was acting weird around me. She started talking to me less and less. I didn’t know what happened to make her stop talking to me. I asked her about it and she flat-out said, “I think you’re annoying.” I felt sad and confused. After that day, I asked my mom for advice. She said to start hanging out with different people until this whole thing blows over. I followed her advice and it did eventually blow over. Since that was my first experience dealing with hurtful words, I treat others like they would like to be treated.

All these three experiences helped me learn that words can hurt you emotionally and can also offend you. I don’t want anyone else to experience hurtful words. Ever since my 4th grade experience, I know to not to humiliate people just to make myself feel better.