Growing Up | Teen Ink

Growing Up

Why would you dwell on one bad thing, when there are so many other good ones? I think that ninety percent of people’s lives are good, and ten percent of them are bad. Most people tend to focus on that bad ten percent. I believe that leaving one thing isn’t an ending, just a new beginning.

Growing up! I went from being the young immature kid, thinking I knew it all; to the more mature young lady who realizes that there is always more to learn. Going from middle school to high school helped me do this. In middle school everything was in one place. My core classes were all in the same hall. When I arrived to high school, it was much different. All of my classes are spread out. I thought that it wouldn’t be that hard. Then I went to finding my way around, and found out I was very wrong about the “not hard” thing. That first week I was lost going to math and social studies almost every day. I always went the opposite way. Luckily the high school kind of circles, so I eventually made my way to class. High school took some getting use to. Now, I expect the new people, bigger school and tougher classes. This big transition was and is just a new chapter in my life.

These new beginnings still continue. Ending a close relationship isn’t always any easy thing. A break – up is always hard and painful. Just knowing that they aren’t there anymore is hard. But this doesn’t lead to being immature about the break – up. Don’t hold it against the other person. They’re not only looking out for themselves but for you also. It will probably be good in the long run anyways. You and that person need to talk about the break – up. You need to talk about why you broke up, and you need to stay on good terms. In fact, I just ended a relationship yesterday. We plan to keep talking to each other. To be honest, I didn’t think we would still talk, but we do. This was just closing one door and opening another. Yeah, were ending a relationship, but were also beginning a new friendship.

It doesn’t stop there. Four and a half years ago, I found out I was moving. I had to leave Indiana to come to Kentucky. I thought that this was the end of the good life I had in Indiana. On my way to Kentucky, I cried so hard. I begged my mom not to make me go. When I got there I was all upset and went straight to my new room. But then, being the first day I was there, I had already made three friends. Then when I went to school I made even more friends. Everyone was so nice to me. I started to see how much I liked Kentucky. I gained new friends, my immediate family was with me, and I have had a new experience. What more could I ask for? I started to realize that this wasn’t ending for me.

One bad incident doesn’t make every other incident a bad one. When it comes down to it, I enjoy having more privileges in high school.