Honesty Is The Best Policy!

December 13, 2007
By Paige Harkins, Nicholasville, KY

Have you ever been lied to, or even caught that person in their own lie? There are so many bad sides to lying and not being honest. For example: people won’t trust you anymore and when people don’t trust you, that takes away so many privileges from you. Honesty can also solve so many problems, but lying just makes everything worse. You could lose friends, your job, or boyfriend/girlfriend, or someone you really care about. When people lie to me, I feel that I cant trust anyone in the world! But the best part about being honest is you know whoever your being honest with or the person being honest with you, you know that you can trust them to tell you the truth.

If you are honest to someone they are more likely to trust you. You also have to be honest with your parents or they can too, take away your privileges. They can take away things you enjoy or they don’t have to let you out with your friends to go out to eat or to the movies. But more importantly, be honest with yourself. Be able to tell yourself what the difference is between right and wrong.

If you lie to someone over and over they’ll never trust you. For example: once I lied to my parents about where I was going and somehow they found out and I had gotten in trouble and it took a little while for them to trust me with my friends for a while.

Right now, I still believe that honesty is the best policy BUT you can still take a few risks by lying a little bit to spice up your life with a little adventure. Honestly, when I was younger, I used to lie all the time and then I started to learn from my mistakes because I kept getting punished and getting caught so I stopped lying as much. So I believe that you should be honest for 95% of the time and be eligible to lie the other 5% to make your life a little bit more of an adventure.

So, in conclusion, Honesty is the best policy and if you are more straight forward with others the you will get more positive feedback and more respect in return, which is what you deserve.

Similar Articles


This article has 0 comments.


MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!