Choices | Teen Ink

Choices

In many things you only have three choices, to give in, give up or give it your all. This applies to life as well. I believe life is full of opportunities and risks; it is up to you to make them count. You only get one life to live so live it to the fullest. Make every moment count because you can not get them back.

A couple of years ago my cousin, C.W., and I were talking, I wanted to ask him about my dad, who died when I was little, since he grew up with him. But I did not want to seem rude or bring up any pain for him, so I decided to wait until it seemed like the right time. A couple of months later, my mom rushed into my room and turned on the news. It was talking about Flight 5191 and how the passengers had died. I thought it was a horrible tragedy, but I did not get why she came in and showed me right then. Until, she said, “C.W. was on that plane.” Then it hit me, he had died. I couldn’t believe this had happened, how could he have died? I was so sad he was gone, I loved him so much. I was also sad that I had lost a link to my dad that I would never be able to get back. I could not believe I had been so stupid, and had not just asked him about my dad when I had the chance, because now, I knew I would never have that chance again.
When I was younger, I would sit on my grandpas’ lap, we would talk about all sorts of different things. One day he started telling me about all the things he wished he had done in his life and all the things he wished he could go back and do. We talked about it for a while, and then he looked me straight in the eye and said, “Don’t let life pass you by and never be afraid to take risks, because you don’t want to go the rest of your life wondering ‘What if’”. I didn’t really understand what he was talking about, but since then I have learned that he was right, I could not just sit on the side lines and watch as life went by. I had to go out there and take risks and chances or I would be left wondering what if I had.
In my life many things have happened that have made me realize that I can not let life pass me by. Just like the old saying goes, “Dance as if no one is watching, smile as if everything is perfect, give as if you had everything, love as if you have never been hurt, and live life like today is your last.” So take what you get, and make the best of it. That is all we can do. This I believe.