May I Take Your Order? | Teen Ink

May I Take Your Order?

October 26, 2007
By Anonymous

Have you ever been unsatisfied with your waiter when you just want to have a nice dinner out of the house? Well you’re not alone in this starved world. Many people are leaving restaurants unsatisfied with their service. Simple little things, like smiling or frowning affect our thoughts on the waiter‘s service, causing horrible opinions to spread. These tiny flaws of a waiter make people irritated with the service. This causes complaints and mad managers. This is one nasty cycle I call, “Waiter Behavior.”


Behavior is a key thing that drives kids like me insane. Things like being too fake, babyish, arrogant, depressed, or just too annoying. When employees are superficial, it is not a good quality to have. Okay, yes I might be thirteen years old, but I don’t need crayons. Every time I go to a nice restaurant like Bugaboo Creek or Legal Seafood with my friends (that are also thirteen), the host always kneels down at my level and asks, “Would you like a kids menu with crayons?” Is it really that hard to tell that I am more than ten years old? It says right on the kids menu only ten and under. It is ludicrous how the employees at restaurants behave.

They sometimes come to the table too often or too little, or maybe their accent is just too heavy. There is no problem if a waiter comes from a foreign country, but if an employee is going to serve food in America the waiter needs to make sure that people can understand him/her and that his/her English is comprehensible. All these little aspects accumulate making customers left displeased and disappointed with the service that was given.


Don’t you just want to shriek when your waiter brings you the incorrect order? Waiters need to get the orders right. I just can’t stand it when I order a Caesar salad and they bring me a clam chowder, and then they charge me for it! For example, what if you are allergic to mushrooms, and you really want the stir fry but it has mushrooms in it. That is when you ask for it without mushrooms, the next thing you know, they bring you your stir fry cooked with mushrooms. It is absolutely absurd. Also, when food is ordered, in the kitchen it comes out scorching hot and ready to go, but if the waiter doesn’t get it in time, it gets chilled. When I order, the restaurants famous mashed potatoes, I’d expect it to be hot, then the waiter brings it to me cold and I am left hanging.. Or I may complain, and then they re-heat or bring me a new one and expect me to pay for it. Some of these simple errors never get fixed, and never change.


I know all you waiters out there are thinking, “I do my job four days a week and work six hours a day. I serve about one hundred people a day; I can’t please every single one of them. I just want a fairly easy job that pays well enough to get my dream car, get my money and leave. My life is hard enough; I can’t beam all the time and my cheeks will certainly fall off by the end of the day. Also, I can’t not look too smiley, or too superficial, it’s not that easy being natural. Cut me some slack, give me a break, and try it for yourself.” Although I understand that serving food is a difficult job, but that is your job, and you should do it right so customers are leaving fulfilled, just like you are supposed to. If you are not one hundred percent committed; then do not work there, it is just that simple. And if you are going to be a waiter and not serve right, then the bosses should step up their expectation and fire them if the waiters do not do their job correctly.


How can all of this unruly waiter behavior change? My hopes for these changes are that waiters will go through more training from bosses, managers and customers. Customers can definitely play a huge role in this training process because customers are the ones unsatisfied. When paying the bill, customers should be asked to fill out a feedback form. Every restaurant should have one so then all restaurants can improve their services. This will hopefully change all of this crazy behavior that everyone in America can be left pleased.