My Little Miracle | Teen Ink

My Little Miracle

April 8, 2008
By Anonymous

Have you had a miracle so astounding happen to you? Well my miracle happened 3 years ago when my cousin was born. This is the story of why we gave her the nickname "Miracle Baby."
It all started 3 years ago when my aunt was pregnant with a baby girl. You know how women are suppossed to last the full 9 months, well my aunt went into labor 2 months early. One of the main reasons she went into labor was due to high blood pressure. While she was pregnant she gained at least 100 pounds because she quit smoking.
She was rushed to Texas Women's Hospital in Houston in August 2004. She had called my grandma the night before and told her that she was having contractions and needed to see the doctor, so the next morning my grandparents rushed to Houston quickly. My grandpa called my dad and told him that my aunt had gone into labor. We all grabbed what we needed and headed to Houston. It took us about 3 hours to get to Houston with my dad driving.
My aunt was in labor for at least 7 hours and the doctor came in to check on her and told her she needed to have the baby right away. It took about 15 minutes for the nurses to give her the medications she needed to go into surgery. The baby was born an hour later. She weighed 1 pound and 9 ounces. After the doctor delievered her, he went into the waiting room where we were waiting and told us that the baby has to be put in NICU because she can't breathe on her own. My grandma broke down immediately. We were all scared because we wanted the baby to live. The doctor told my aunt that her baby would have to be in the hospital for 4 months.
As the months went on, my aunt drove to Houston everyday to check on the baby. It was hard for her to see her because she was hooked up to many monitors and tubes. For the first year of her life she was hooked up to a breathing machine until her lungs got stronger.
Now she is a healthy and happy 3 year old always running around everywhere. We are so grateful to have her in our lives. From this experience in my life I have learned that anything can happen to you, good or bad.