Poetry Newsletter | Teen Ink

Poetry Newsletter

April 23, 2010
By Anonymous

Transcendentalism movement is one of the most important and influential periods in American history. Transcendentalists were deep thinkers and were optimistic about the future and the power of humans to move themselves. Transcendentalism was a spiritual philosophical literary movement that they believed transcended the physical and empirical and can only be realized by an individual’s intuition. Transcendentalists were Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau and Orestes Brownson.

Romanticism originated in the second half of the 18th century. Romanticism is the emerging act of new ideas. During the Romanticism literary movement there were great authors like Edgar Allen Poe and Nathaniel Hawthorne. These authors base their writings on supernatural and human psychology.
Poetic Definition
Is the definition of not just reality, but the reality of our world as we know it. Poetry in my eyes brings out a whole new perspective about the way we as humans think. I also understand that poetry is a passion that is expressed through language and emotion of reality." Poetry is not the record of an event: it is an event" this quote from Robert Lowell means that The feeling and hard work of a person writing these poetic papers is not a record of a event, but it is the main event." A poem should not mean but be" I find this quote by Archibald to be the presence of reality not just be something we learn or understand, but to actually live it. "Poetry lifts the veil from the hidden beauty of the world and makes familiar objects be as if they were not familiar". I believe this quote is my favorite because poetry helps realize what we could never see was actually there. It opens are minds up to a whole new perspective in my opinion. Gives us a better understanding of what goes on around us or what could be coming about.