A Deathly Experience | Teen Ink

A Deathly Experience MAG

By Anonymous

   A few weeks ago there was a Students Against Drunk Driving membership drive. I was about to pledge not to drink and drive, and not to ride in a car with a driver who had been drinking. I was stopped by an upsetting memory.

Last summer I attended summer school at Boston University. One boring Friday night about 30 of us went to a friend's house in Newton to party. We took the T from Boston, but since it was too far to walk to his house, Sam had to pick us up. The second we got to Sam's house we went for the spiked punch. Anyway, after drinking for a few hours, I was reminded by a sober friend that our curfew was 12 midnight. Although I felt in full control, I wasn't exactly sure what was going on. I knew I would get a ride back to the T with someone. Another bunch of kids took taxis back to B.U. which I thought they took because they were too drunk to take the T. Sam offered to drive some of my friends and me to the T. As I got into Sam's car, the only thought on my mind was wondering if this guy I liked would dump his girlfriend for me. It never once occurred to me that I was riding in a drunk driver's car.

A few weeks ago, during the S.A.D.D. membership drive, I was telling a friend about the "Party of the Summer" when I remembered that Sam had played a drinking game with my friends and me that night. I had no idea how much Sam drank. We had all gotten carried away with that game so Sam must have been legally intoxicated. I was too drunk to realize that I was endangering my life. For all I remember of that night, someone else who had been drinking might have driven us to the T.

I have not had a sip to drink since that party. I suppose I am trying to punish myself for my stupidity. I haven't signed my pledge to S.A.D.D. this year yet either. Before I pledge not to ride with a drunk driver, I want to think about what I did this summer, and how I can prevent it from happening again. n