The Connection between Coriolis Effect and the Age of Exploration | Teen Ink

The Connection between Coriolis Effect and the Age of Exploration

June 7, 2010
By Anonymous

The Coriolis Effect is a force that is described as using the Newton laws referring to a moving motion and how it is affecting the motion. The effect is the obvious path taken by an object in a rotating motion. The path taken seems to be curve but it is just the motion of the rotation making the deception of it being true. (Coriolis, October, 1, 2009) The Age of Exploration lasted from the 15th century to the 17th century. It is the time Europeans tried exploring the sea and finding new trade. The knowledge collected from this time help improve geographic knowledge. (Age, October, 1, 2009) The wind motion caused by the Coriolis Effect helped trade during the Age of Exploration.


Trading winds easily help trade ships quickly get across the ocean. During the age of exploration, it was discovered and the system of trade was more convenient. The trade of wind affected history since the discovery was helpful and affective to the trading system. (Europe, October, 1, 2009) When a boat travels on the trade of winds the boat simply gets pushed toward the direction of the trade route making it faster without the hassle of turning and steering.


The region of the equator receives the sun’s direct rays. The air movement going toward the equators is the trade of winds. It always continuously warm and has steady wind. It makes the trade ships easier to get to the destination in less time than a different path taken. The trade wind of the north and south meet up near the equator. As they heat, they produce upward winds. This region of calmness is the doldrums. (Global, October, 1, 2009)


The discovery of the trade of winds made trading goods from one country to another easier since everyone is taking the same path. The whole thing was caused by the Coriolis Effect of earth rotating and making it seem like the wind is moving in a curve. The discovery of the trade of the winds affected how the trade system and more energy might have been wasted if the winds weren’t discovered.