EMT Breakdown | Teen Ink

EMT Breakdown

June 4, 2010
By SGOSMCRescue13 BRONZE, Leesburg, Virginia
SGOSMCRescue13 BRONZE, Leesburg, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Whatever you are, be a good one.


Types of Health Care Providers

When you think of a Rescue Squad, you think of a congregation of dedicated people. These people, who became trained professionals over countless tiring hours of training and skill work, are courageous and caring people who want to serve and protect our community. They want nothing more than to be a comforting hero in someone’s time of need… Right? Yeah, the satisfaction of helping someone is there. But half the time, they leave the scene thinking “Wow that person was a jerk,” or “They deserved to be back boarded… Yeah, I know they didn’t NEED it… But they did complain of back pain.” These thoughts, along with more comical and sarcastic ones, often fill the minds of an EMT, unless you come across the rare EMT that is truly pure of heart and innocent of mind. There are different types of EMTs: The Old and Experienced, The Young and Gung-Ho, and The Apathetic and Absent EMT.

The Old and Experienced EMT is often found one night or day a week at the station, relaxing with a book or the TV or looking over protocol books, awaiting yet another call among the many they have run in their lengthy and busy career. They are calmer, expectant, and cautious, knowing all of the precautions that should be taken at a scene. They are careful to step into a situation, and are aware of the steps that must be taken should the scene or patient need to be kept under control. They are knowledgeable of their equipment, other resources, and their partner’s capabilities (as well as their own). They’ve spent countless hours at the training center, their station, and possibly other stations, running calls and attending the necessary classes. For them, a code at a retirement home at 3:30 in the morning isn’t so exciting as it is inconvenient, but they are able to maintain composure and professionalism to practice optimum patient care.

Taking as much as they can from the Old and Experienced EMTs are the Young and Gung-Ho. They can typically range anywhere in age from 16-late 20’s, although this could count as anyone who is fresh on the rescue scene. Often found at the station multiple nights a week, their hearts race in anticipation and excitement every time the tones drop, ready for the next head-on collision or cardiac arrest call (although, more often than not, it will just be a simple abdominal pain call). They dive into each call, as well as their training, head first. They take each training opportunity they are able, wanting to grasp anything rescue so they can know what they can so they are able to get in there and play a bigger role on a serious call. And more often than not, they not only will become certified as an EMT, but also as a Firefighter so they can take part in heavy rescue operations. They are excited and energetic, and are right on the heels of the experienced EMT on that 3:30 A.M. code.

Last but not least, you have the Apathetic and Absent EMTs. They are lost souls, looking to take a part in helping their community, but not exactly knowing where to start. So they stumble across the rescue squad. They stumble through the training and their probationary period at their station, kind of just taking information and experiences in stride, but not actually taking it in to retain for later use or reference. Then, once released (if they spend enough time precepting to actually be released), they are never there to run duty. Work, family, headaches, and other such things get in their way of attending duty. And they are always so, so very sad to be missing it. And their fellow crew members are also very sad because of Mr. A & A’s absence.

All in all, an EMT is there to serve their community, no matter what kind of person they are. But depending on the person, you always have different reasons, justifications or personal agendas. Any way you look at it, their heart and mind was in the right place… Whether is stayed there or not, that’s another story altogether. No matter what kind of EMT you are, you are an EMT – able to answer the call to help people in need.