Drunk Driving: A License To Kill This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

People say that drunk driving is a mistake. It's not a mistake. It's a deliberate choice. You choose to get behind a wheel of a car after drinking. It's no wonder people are so carefree about drunk driving if it is so justified as a mistake.

It's not a mistake. Mistakes are forgivable. Drunk driving isn't forgivable. It's stupid. By justifying and condoning it, the problem will only continue to get worse. We lose more and more people every day because they were involved in an automobile accident where a drunk driver was involved. How many lives are we willing to sacrifice before we wake up and realize it? I hope we all wake up soon.

Drunk driving is wrong, and it should be treated that way. It isn't just your life we are dealing with, but everyone who is unfortunate enough to be on the same road. It only takes one drunk driver one time to kill someone!

So what is "drunk driving" anyway? The legal definitions of drunk driving are open to many interpretations, which vary greatly from state to state. In some places, "drunk driving" can include sitting in a parked car or wrecked vehicle with the motor not running, or starting up a car in a driveway. The police can and do arrest people who they believe are drunk before they even get on the road and when they've pulled off to "sleep it off" if they're in the driver's seat.

As for a definition of "drunk" there are many factors to consider. You can be "legally impaired" in the eyes of the law without even taking a drink, if you have taken other substances that affect your ability to drive. You can also be found drunk even when you have all your facilities in perfect working order.

What are the penalties of drunk driving? Penalties vary sharply, but are highest for accidents in which others are injured or killed and for repeat offenders. Sometimes a driver is arrested on manslaughter charges immediately after a fatal crash, if there is a probable cause to believe the driver was drunk.

A general range of penalties for a conviction of drivers arrested in accidents or in incidents in which there were no injuries or major damage, can be a fine ranging from $100 to $5,000, and/or imprisonment for up to two years, and/or loss of driving privileges for a period of time.

I am not saying that all people who drink are alcoholics. What I am trying to point out is that we need stricter laws that are going to incarcerate these people until they go before a judge and are charged. If a person is constantly charged with the same violation, then they should be in a treatment center directly from jail so innocent people don't have to pay by being critically injured or killed.

So think about the consequences before you drink and drive ... and remember, you can drink and you can drive but mix the two and you can die!! c

Nikhil37 said...
Dec. 2, 2013 at 6:55 am:
Hi!!! I think you are true can we name this as  "License To Drive Is Not  License to kill" ?????? can we??

Deej6595 said...
I like how you mentioned that drunk driving is not a mistake, but a choice. I also like the idea that people should be treated for their alcohol dependency from jail so, they can get it through their heads not to drive drunk.I have always been against drunk driving but, you made me think of it in a different way. It is unfortunate that people have to die in order for us to change our ways.

maggi said...
Very good article :) Drunk driving is stupid and rightfully illlegal so drunk drivers should be punished. Though I have two things to say. Firstly, I'd like to point out though that drunk driving actually can be a mistake. When a person does something the person likely believes the act to be right. Then when the person looks back the person realizes it was really wrong. Then the person looks at that act as a mistake. Often people do not realize the risks involved with driving drunk... (more »)

joelllllll said...
Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:00 pm:
nice job dude!!!!!!! keep up the good work!!

FreeLOTRlifeguard said...
I love how you touched on so many things on drunk driving that usually blow right over peoples heads.

fredalicious143 said...
Feb. 25, 2011 at 12:00 pm:
i ment....Trueeee datttt!!!, i loved your article, including the end(:

fredalicious143 said...
Feb. 25, 2011 at 11:57 am:
TRUE DAT!!!, i loved you article, including the end(:

Stephie said...
May 13, 2010 at 8:57 pm:
People can be so careless. Drinking and driving is horrible and there should be more strict laws.

^unshed.tears said...
May 13, 2010 at 11:40 am:
you're right. my dad used to drive drunk. then he knew a guy that had killed his daughter driving drunk. now he doesn't. and some people drive drunk because they think it makes them look cool. let's see how cool they look in orange jumpsuits picking up litter on the side of the highway!!

thaTwistette replied...
Sept. 22, 2010 at 4:09 pm :
i liked it but it shoulda been under OPINIONS and i give it a 2 out of 10

carog_91 replied...
Mar. 17, 2011 at 9:02 pm :

it's a fact...

drunk driving=putting yourself and others at risk,

unless you know plenty of people that can drive drunk PERFECTLY aware of their surroundings and not impaired driving skills.

that's not an opinion...

FACT.

thatclarinetgirl said...
May 13, 2010 at 7:54 am:

You are right! I wish people would listen when people tell them to stay for the night instead of getting on the road. Keep Writting!

zachthecosmogirl said...
Mar. 30, 2010 at 8:35 am:
cant wait to drive drunk!!!!!

invisible13 replied...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 8:13 am :
haha. nice! i hope you have fun.

SLC96 said...
Feb. 14, 2010 at 10:38 pm:
wow . this is so true. i am glad it made it to the magizing hopefully someomone will wake up and see. keep writing ! ;))

j.j.waters said...
i love what u wrote..you are right..drunk driving is not an mistake...if u are dumb enough 2 drive while drunk,then your dumb enough 2 deal with the consequences

tati92 said...
i like your article is was fanasting i loved it and that is right...