The Lion | Teen Ink

The Lion

He gets up from a long nap, looks around, and then roars a terrible, cruel roar. He does not care about the pride he travels with, although he is the boss. He does not care if the hyenas come and take the little ones. All the others are scared of him; they are his slaves. He wants meat often and he drives them to get more and more of it for himself. He is selfish and unkind. The others in his pride have turned mean; all of them thinking it is an all-about-me-serve-myself kind of world. They do not care for each other or for their boss, but they must serve him or else he will hurt them very bad. The pride is utter chaos, but it stays together because of the lion’s cruelness. He is always looking for something to eat, and has such contempt for his pride that he may eat them too. He is the ruthless and terrible lion.

Your adversary, the devil (Satan), prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour (1 Peter 5:8). Satan comes to steal, kill and destroy just as the cruel lion does. He does not want anything good for anyone. In fact, he wants people to kill themselves. He does not care about anyone, unless they will serve him. He is very selfish. Every day Satan is attacking me. He does not want me to succeed; he wants me to fail. He wants me to serve him. Is there any way to resist this cruel being?

A different lion, not far off, stands up, sniffs the air, and then roars a mighty, majestic roar. He walks around; making sure everyone is safe and calm. All are comforted by his presence; he has power to keep them safe. They know this, and are not afraid when he is around: he always is. They know of his love for them; it is great. They are his, and they trust in him. He has many predators, and he must be aware of the ones that may sneak in and take his little ones. The lion is the king of his pride, and all look up to him.

Jesus is the most powerful, most majestic King anywhere. He far surpasses the strength and power of a lion. He cares for His children and watches over them every single minute of every single day and night. He never sleeps, never takes a break from watching His children. He loves them with an unfailing, never-ending love. I am one of His children. I know that He loves me, and that He can save me from the cruel and hating Satan. There is hope for me because of Jesus!

The thief (Satan) comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I (Jesus) have come that they may have life, and have it to the full (John 10:10). This is self-explanatory: Satan only wants to steal, kill, and destroy a person’s life; Jesus has come to save anyone who wants to have life. For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son (Jesus), that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16).

on Jun. 6 2010 at 11:14 am
AnneElliot PLATINUM, Parker, Colorado

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot loose." ~ Jim Elliot

This is great! :) Good job. I love how you contrast the two lions, and how you use scripture to illustrate your points. I also wrote an article about God, titled "Light," (TeenInk.com/opinion/spirituality_religion/article/213636/Light/)...if you could read and rate it, I would appreciate it a lot! Thanks!